Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tobacco burst import strat

Long story short;
    "Someone" has been eyeing my American Deluxe Strat in sunburst.

For a beginner, what would be the best quality traditional, sunburst strat to be a "fake" american deluxe?

I am thinking MIM Fender standard, squier Affinity, G&L Tribute, SX

Is there another decent one i should consider? Really leaning toward the affinity. That is a 1000X better starter guitar than what i started with. plus the headshape is a reasonable facsimile of the american.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

How about a Highway One? It's not an import, but it's close, price-wise. You can get one in sunburst, too, and it's a nice, thin finish that lets the guitar resonate and should age very nicely.

Otherwise, that Koa-topped import Strat looks pretty nice, doesn't cost too much, and has SD pickups and a birdseye neck, too.

Another option is to get a used MIJ '62 reissue. They are regularly available on eBay.

Comment

how much are you looking to spend?
      i see alot of mim in the $350 plus dollar range on the use market.
      for a little extra money, i would search the boards and try to build a parts strat.
      i'm currently doing that and have spent $260 on a nice trekker neck, usa fender body and trem and schaller tuners. all i'm missing is pickguard/pickups which i can't imagine it being more than $150.

Comment

Isn't a highway one basically a MIM assembled in America? I have a mexican strat the plays and sounds as good or better than a number of USA strats I've played, including my guitar teacher's very cool '70s one. Just play through a few and you'll probably find a decent one.

Comment

my MIM strat is killer. it has a nice burst and was 379.00. it is one of my favorite guitars and NEVER gives me tuning troubles or anything. it is one of the BEST guitars i have....and it is the cheapest guitar i have. i would strongly recommend one for a starter guitar because it will YEARS before it needs to be upgraded.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have a Squier Standard Strat in a two-tone burst that plays very well. I think it cost me $190 at the time. I dropped in a JB jr., and a white pearloid pickguard. Really nice bang for the buck.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

I have a Squire Affinity Special.
              Great guitar for $149.
              I love the neck. Those Chinese CNC machines work pretty damn good.
              A little fret end work and a pickup swap and it was ready to go.
              One of my regular players now.

Crappy pic.
              -Rick

Comment

Working...
              X