Carvin Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
    I went with Carvin because I wanted a neck thru 24 fret 7 string with a maple fret board, Stainless Steel frets and a floyd.
    GMW will do one for me (and I may still have them build one for me) but I'll be waiting a year for it and it will cost about $500.00 more than a Carvin.
    My Carvin 7 is an awesome guitar.
    Where else could I have gone to get those specs on a 7 and not either pay up the ass or wait a year?
    Kmanick, your DC727 is *awesome*, and thanks again for sending me your spec sheet . When you posted pics of it, they stopped me dead in my tracks. I really want one!

Unfortunately, in Europe we'd face dealer markup. As I had to go through a dealer, I was (basically) quoted1.7k USD for a guitar with near identical specs to yours; admittedly that includes shipping and taxes.

As for alternatives, for similar money (inc. shipping and taxes), I ordered a 7 string Jackson Stars (with completely different specs, but still neck thru, 24 fret etc.). Come June, I should know if it was the right choice. It'll be completely different to the Carvin. For one thing, I don't think it can be as pretty as yours (what a quilt!). But the build time is only 3-4 months. So maybe Jackson Stars offer some alternative? Especially if you want a Jackson body-style, head-stock and inlays.

Comment

Dragonburst can vary depending on whether you get it done in regular transparent, or stained. The stain makes it quite a bit darker but it makes the quilt pop out more too. I personally like the regular trans since the color is more electric that way. Something else I really like about Carvin is that they burst the back of the guitar too, not just the front.
      Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

My Carvin is one of the last guitars I'd ever want to sell, so resale value isn't an object for me.
        I consider all my guitars keepers, until something more interesting comes along
        But my Carvin DC (and hopefully the new V22O as well) IS a keeper.
        Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
        http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

Carvin 7's RULE. They play as well as you could possibly hope, especially if you get the mahogany tung oiled neck and stainless frets.

jim
          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Nice blue one. I'd like a blue one with gold hardware but the black looks nice too. For some reason, black hardware looks cooler to me on a Carvin than on some other brands. I am definitely ordering the stainless frets. I've never tried them before. I'm having a hard time deciding what color to order first. If they play as nice as they look, I'll shoot for a whole rainbow of 7's.

Scott
            Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

Digging up a fairly old thread here, but I'm getting interested in the Carvin world too.

I see that a 14" radius neck is an option. How would this compare to the neck on a Chavel Predator? I love the neck on it but I'd like to add some more custom options and Carvin is the best price by far.
              Scott

Comment

I was actually on the phone with carvin today about ordering an Ultra V. I am going to go with the free standard paint though, My reason for calling today was to see if they still honored their warranty if I had an after market paint job done (gonna do black with red bevels). They said they would absolutely still honor the reapairs for the body, neck etc, they just won't fix the paint, I would have to take that up with whoever paints it. I am probably going to do diamond inlays, stainless steel frets, I'll swap the pickups out when it gets here. Just look at the access to the higher frets. A shredder's dream and all for under a grand???

Comment

Oh yeah, the best thing ... only 8-10 week wait!

Comment

I was once a Carvin FREAK and have owned just about any Carvin model you can think of in the guitars AND in the amps. About three years ago there was a shake up at the company of some kind and most of the guys I had dealt with for over 15 years were suddenly gone. I frankly got screwed by them and have sold off all but three of my Carvin guitars from the 17 or so I had. The gear is great the company can be hit or miss with CS and many mistakes were being made on orders a year or so ago.
                    If you order a guitar take some advice and have the rep email you the full option list check it carefully print it out and KEEP the print out . They build great stuff but things have changed as of late so be carefull with them.
                    Here are just some of my old Carvins.

All I kept is two of the X220C's ( Pearl Pink 1990 and a 22 fret Black 1991 X) and a 2004 DC 400 with the fishman system.

Comment

• I love the X220's. Wish they would bring those back!

Comment

• Originally posted by JerEvil View Post
                        I love the X220's. Wish they would bring those back!
                        Yep they are KILLERS. I'm REALLY REALLY pissed at the company ( enough to sell off 14 of my Carvin guitars and all 5 of my Carvin amps ) but those I just could NOT sell. The Pink one is a real BEAST it's FEATHER light weight and is just "alive". I have owned several of those but that one for some reason is just "special". I bet it doesn't weigh over 5 pounds!!
                        I did trade one X220C off. It was a 93 and I traded it for a one off Grover Jackson handbuilt Washburn prototype that is simply the best guitar I have ever picked up. That was a unique oppertunity though and these are NOT going anywhere!

Comment

• I got this from Carvin a couple months ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            I was once a Carvin FREAK and have owned just about any Carvin model you can think of in the guitars AND in the amps. About three years ago there was a shake up at the company of some kind and most of the guys I had dealt with for over 15 years were suddenly gone. I frankly got screwed by them and have sold off all but three of my Carvin guitars from the 17 or so I had. The gear is great the company can be hit or miss with CS and many mistakes were being made on orders a year or so ago.
                            If you order a guitar take some advice and have the rep email you the full option list check it carefully print it out and KEEP the print out . They build great stuff but things have changed as of late so be carefull with them.
                            Here are just some of my old Carvins.

All I kept is two of the X220C's ( Pearl Pink 1990 and a 22 fret Black 1991 X) and a 2004 DC 400 with the fishman system.
                            I agree with you. Carvin lost and/or got rid of alot people 2-3 years ago and at about the same time their prices started going up sharply and some QC issues started. Maybe a bottom line thing, but not sure? I want a DC125C in all tung oiled mahogany with the pointy headstock option and the old "ST" body option, but I am just waiting for the "ST" body option to come back as an option. I don`t care for the sculpted body they have now. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                            X