Let's discuss custom guitar options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driskill Guitars

Pros: Sensational build quality, works with the customer to do pretty much whatever you want.
    Cons: Long wait times, fairly expensive but not unreasonable for what you get.
    Note: I've never owned a Driskill, I could never afford it after hearing what my friend payed, but its quite possibly the finest guitar I've ever played and easily the best looking. And my friend absolutely raved about how great it was to work with Driskill how communicative he is and such.

Zion
    Pros: Very high build quality Pretty afforable pricing, good ebay buy.
    Cons: Don't sell well on ebay, limited styles and fairly limited in what you can do (in fact its only custom in the most limited sense.) The model I had was a "Custom" but I got it off ebay so perhaps its actually just a model called a custom. Either way it was a heck of a buy and a really fine playing guitar. Terrific neck.

I'd be interested to hear some about Abyss and Warrior guitars. I've heard alot about them but never played either.

I'd agree with the assements of MCNaughts, way overpriced but just incredibly made guitars. From what my friend said Driskill is cheaper. I've never played or heard anything about Thorn except just word of mouth, but all of it has been good. Since I've moved I haven't really been able to try out as many high quality guitars as I used to.
    Last edited by Chrisb; 03-25-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

One Name

Tyler

awesome organic tone machines

I just got one built to my specs in 9 weeks

awesome

Pros: the most organic players guitar I've experienced, Jim will do almost anything for you. It leaves the shop after being setup by Jim Tyler. Used ones go for almost what new ones do.

Cons: You spend way too much time hearing about the headstock online from people who have never seen one in person, it is smaller, sleeker and cooler than in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
        I'd like to know more about the McNaught guitars as they look beautiful. Anyone have pros and cons on them?
        McNaught is definitely top notch. Here are some "80s" guitars built by McNaught and offered by Dave Mansel (who does all the tops for the McNaught guitars).

Pros: David McNaught builds them and Dave Mansel Paints them (fantastic work)
        Cons: wait time was 8 months. You can't choose the headstock.

Mine is the blue flame:

Comment

Originally posted by gitfiddler View Post
          McNaught is definitely top notch. Here are some "80s" guitars built by McNaught and offered by Dave Mansel (who does all the tops for the McNaught guitars).

Pros: David McNaught builds them and Dave Mansel Paints them (fantastic work)
          Cons: wait time was 8 months. You can't choose the headstock.

Mine is the blue flame:

Wow, those are rocking, but that headstock is fugly as hell Jack.

Comment

Uh...it looks very much like a Jackson headstock to me?? It just has an extra notch at the bottom where it comes out

Comment

they used to have stratheads but caught some heat from fender. I'm not a huge fan of the shape, but the guitar feels and sounds incredible

Comment

The shape looks fine to me. Lord knows I have seen MUCH worse I am having a McNaught made at the moment. It has been about 3 months since I placed my order. Hopefully I will have it in a few more months.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  How about we start a discussion on the various builders out there in terms of build quality, price, features, options. I'd like to keep separate whether or not one likes a particular brand or not or you think the guitars are fugly or whatever.

I'll kick it off with some that I have some experience with.

Carvin
                  Pros: affordable, high build quality, quick turn around time, easy to order, plenty of options (even more if you actually speak to someone)

Cons: limited shapes, limited pickup and hardware selection, limited finish options (although they have a lot of them)

GMW
                  Pros: affordable, high build quality, no limits on body shapes, any finish you want, any hardware and electronic options

Cons: limited headstock choices, build times have been traditionally long (although Lee is working to improve that)

Suhr
                  Pros: high build quality, lots of hardware and electronic options, lots of finish options,

Cons: expensive, limited body and headstock choices, limited finish options (from what I've seen at least)

Grosh
                  Pros: high build quality, lots of hardware and electronic options, lots of finish options

Cons: expensive, limited body and headstock choices, build times can be extremely long

PRS
                  Pros: high build quality

Cons: expensive, limited body and headstock choices, build times can be long

So far, the common theme is high build quality. I'd like to hear more on all of these guys as well as hear from folks with actual personal experience buying a custom ESP, Ibanez, Hamer, Dean, Washburn, Anderson, Fender, Gibson, Tyler, etc. Let's keep this limited to companies that will produce an actual completed guitar - so no Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft, etc.
                  How about those "McNaughts"?? Amazing from what ive seen in pics

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                    Wow, those are rocking, but that headstock is fugly as hell Jack.
                    Looks like Lees (GMW's) headstock
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

McNaught

Pros: Got this one used, so I can't comment on the build process. This is the one I'd go back into a burning building for, though. Rings like a bell. I e-mailed McNaught Guitars for some info, and both Dave's at the shop are the nicest guys you could imagine.

Cons: This one's heavy-ish.

Photos from when she showed up:

This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE View Post
                        Suhr
                        Pros: high build quality, lots of hardware and electronic options, lots of finish options,

Cons: expensive, limited body and headstock choices, limited finish options (from what I've seen at least)

Not sure what one you really meant to type...

Although it may not be listed on his site, Suhr will do pretty much any color available. He'll even match a sample or picture and most of the time it's at no extra cost. I sent him a pic of a color I wanted an he matched perfectly at no cost.
                        He isn't setup for full on graphics, metalflake, etc. Just doing any single color or a burst is not exactly exciting stuff.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I think I've got all the makers mentioned in this thread on the page. If you have actual experience ordering a guitar from any of the builders please provide any info you can to fill out this chart:

http://hackolutions.com/customguitarbuilders.htm

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                            Looks like Lees (GMW's) headstock
                            IMHO, both generally look like derivations of the Ibanez headstock shape.

Interesting that no-one has mentioned the Fender or Gibson custom shops yet. I've got no experience with either, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              He isn't setup for full on graphics, metalflake, etc. Just doing any single color or a burst is not exactly exciting stuff.
                              Ahhh, gotcha.

They offer custom graphics through Pamelina. Not sure what that costs though.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                                IMHO, both generally look like derivations of the Ibanez headstock shape.
                                That's what I thought as well. I like the pointy GMW and McNaught headstocks just fine.

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                                Interesting that no-one has mentioned the Fender or Gibson custom shops yet. I've got no experience with either, myself.
                                My only experience has been with the Fender Custom Shop. I had submitted a request for a custom Tele. It was going to require a Master Builder for the specs I chose. The quote turnaround time was within two days. The cost was unreal - $4200 was the discounted street price - $7000 MSRP. The same guitar from Grosh was quoted at $2900 street (not sure of list). I ended up going a different direction

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X