No announcement yet.

Let's discuss custom guitar options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a lot of these builders mentioned is no 24 fretters. That limits me - I GOTTA have 24 frets period.

I am currently wrestiling with who to order my next custom from.

I really got a superb custom Demon from Jackson. Its as nice of a guitar as I have ever played - and I have played Suhrs, Andersons, zions, Bakers, Warriors etc...

The couple critiques I have on the Demon are that you have to have big slim hands with long fingers (which I happen to have) to get around the large neck heel and narrow lower horn - Jackson should have made the horn pocket wider like the rest of their guitars.

I love the neck but may go with a little skinnier neck on my next guitar. Other than that the sound of it is as good as I have ever heard. Very organic, notes just swell and bloom and sustain is incredible.

I am looking to take the Demon design and change the lower horn to make it a little shorter, increase the width of the neck pocket, maybe slim the neck heel a bit and slim the neck a bit. That would be my ideal guitar.

But I think it would involve actually bringing my Demon on a plane to some builder to let them check it out. Hill is one possibility I found. But I am close enough to drive to US Custom in WI. But US Custom may be limited in body style so I may be back to square one.

Actually there is one local builder in MPLS now that I think about it - they make guitars for Johnny Lang and such....
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
      I think I've got all the makers mentioned in this thread on the page. If you have actual experience ordering a guitar from any of the builders please provide any info you can to fill out this chart:

http://hackolutions.com/customguitarbuilders.htm
      I don't see Anderson included. They are essentially like Suhr...you are limited to their body shapes, neck profiles, electronics, etc. Finish options are near limitless and they will even do custom graphics. They do have some odd quirks though but I can't remember the specifics...there are certain wood/hardware/finish options that they won't do such as a Floyd on a basswood body (this is an example, I'm not sure if its true). Essentially, Tom will not build it if he feels it compromises quality in any way.
      Prices are very high, turnaround in the past was 6-8 months, but that was the late 90's...not sure where he's at these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson View Post
        What about companies like Ran, KXK, and LGM?
        Jeremy at LGM stopped making guitars when his Harley painting business took off.
        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Just a quick thank you to all of you who contributed to this thread. It gives me a lot of choices that I look forward to dealing with in the future -
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Has anybody dealt with Wayne Charvel's new guitar company? I assume its a custom shop.
            I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

I own two Ran customs, and plan to order two more in the near future one hardtail hsh for more tonal options for me and a guitar for my old guitar teacher, as i did promise to build him one for a school project, but didnt finish it....

However the two I have right now are great great necks, I have a Rhoads rearloaded 24 frets ina white black shceme, adn aVision standard super strat style body with reversed ESP pointed headstock style, and a punisher blk/white theme...

Pictures are around the forum, but i'll psot a few again.

However they play great, I love them both, allthough the Vision is my favourite due to the lovely satin finish neck which is more playable, than the gloss white neck on the RR...

Ran are great to deal with decent prices and turnaround times, the prices have gone up as the waiting times, however the quality seems to be better, but I will likely be mianly dealing with Ran from now on....

Allthough funds allowing I will own a DK2M or two....

Owain

Comment

Shamray

They will build anything

???????? ???????? Shamray Guitars ???????????? ??????? ?????, ????????? ? ???????????? ???????????? ?????? ?????????????? ? ????????-???????? ? ??????? ??????, ????? ???????????? ???????????? ????? ? ????????? ????????????

Comment

Scott Heatley guitar

Pro's= varied body shape selection,will even do custom shapes, any kind of neck attachment available ( bolt,Set or neck thru) top quality woods and hardwares, great communicator, IMO their reasonable priced for a custom guitar

Con's= can't really think of much other then wait time ( and only because he's gaining in popularity and he's a 1 man shop )

i just received my Electric nylon String from Scott.... most excellant

( you can see pics on the "under construction" page of Scott's site

MOJO's T

-----------------------------------------

i also own 2 Thorn's (#21 and #48 )and can't rave enough about them either
                  Last edited by 4koa; 05-03-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Niccolai View Post
                    Moser Custom Shop:

Pros: Excellent build quality (best I've ever played), many traditional and wild shapes, unlimited hardware and finishing options, very good prices for a relatively small shop, You don't haveto order through a dealer, easily the BEST customer service of any company in the music industry, and some damn fine people as well.

Cons: Very long wait times (9 months to build, but I believe there's a very long waiting list as well), and you will likely haveto pay big money for an aftermarket case that would fit most of their models.
                    yes the waiting list for a Moser is long,so they have brought in their Import line if you cant wait for a custom,i have a Moser import
                    and i must say the thing slays,looks killer plays like butter,and you would never know it was made in Korea
                    My Moser that im very happy with
                    http://www.myspace.com/deadsoldier2

Comment

Also, there's an even shorter list (and wait time) if you order a Moser 6/10 (Bich) or Vintage (Seagull). I have to say my Moser 10 puts ALL my other guitars to shame. The attention-to-detail and finesse is outstanding.

The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                        One Name

Tyler

awesome organic tone machines

I just got one built to my specs in 9 weeks

awesome

Pros: the most organic players guitar I've experienced, Jim will do almost anything for you. It leaves the shop after being setup by Jim Tyler. Used ones go for almost what new ones do.

Cons: You spend way too much time hearing about the headstock online from people who have never seen one in person, it is smaller, sleeker and cooler than in pictures
                        God i hope so! Cause it may possibly be the worst headstock ever imo.
                        But... the rest of the axes are amazing! Why doesnt he change the headstock?

Comment

I just went through the Suhr ordering process. They will no longer colour match from a picture. You would have to supply the number from an automotive colour chip to get a custom colour.

They will not do simple 80s style graphics. Graphic quotes start at $1000 list for art by Pamelina.

They will install Suhr p-ups, or EMG only.

No oiled necks, as they may warp.

The cost is *NOT* what you may think. I was more than pleased by the quote given by a JCF sponsor. They are the finest production bolt-ons made today.

Comment

My main gripe with Carvin is their limited radii on fretboards. No compound available, or 16 for that matter.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                              My main gripe with Carvin is their limited radii on fretboards. No compound available, or 16 for that matter.
                              They come with 12" now, but they offer 10 or 14 as options. And the Holdsworth is 20. I thought they used to make 15 not too long ago, but I could be mistaken.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

20 is just too flat, but I guess I could live with 14! Hmmmmm this is so tempting, I should not be looking at this thread right now, too much gas...
                                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X