No announcement yet.

hey guys, need help choosing a new axe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys, need help choosing a new axe.

Hey guys,

I need your suggestions for new main guitar. I'm tired of having to get a new guitar every 6 months because I find something is wrong with it. My Parker is a great guitar but I need something with a floyd or a strat style bridge. The TOM bridges do not work for me. The neck is perfect..

I want to find something that works for me, will last, is built well, etc, etc.

I have some ideas but I wanted to get some other opinions. I'm looking to spend $700-$900 give or take a hundred dollars. Time is somewhat of a factor as we are going into the studio at the end of the month and I want to play it for a while.. basically I would need to get it from a dealer that has it in stock.

I'm tired of having to get a new guitar every 6 months. I want to find something that works for me, will last, is built well, etc, etc.

The most important thing to me is that it has either a floyd or a strat style bridge. The second most important thing is that the pickups need to be good stock pups. I don't have the time or money to spend replacing them. The third thing that is most important is the overall playing comfort. The final thing is build quality....I should mention that I would LOVE something with coil tapping and that I am not a huge fan of ESP guitars...

I have compiled a short list in order of what I am leaning towards.

1. Godin Freeway w/EMG's

Pros

- USA/Canada made... I have not heard many complaints about the build quality
    - Strat style bridge
    - EMG's
    - Nicely priced (around $550 with a gig bag)
    - There are a few Godin dealers around here that are pretty sweet.
    - Its a pretty "neutral" guitar. Its not called the "Bich" or the "Hellraiser" or it does not have a giant spearhead at the end of it. I don't have to feel guilty about playing it in church or anything. I'm sure some of you think thats a dumb reason but I am a Christian and I do play in a Christian band... please try to understand.
    - From what I can remember, it played pretty well.
    - It has the same color/finish as my Washburn 7... Matching guitars are cool.

Cons

-Not the most metal looking guitar... not too big of a con if you ask me.

2. Schechter Hellraiser 6 w/Floyd. Did not have much experience with this one but from what I can remember...

Pros
    -Played VERY well
    -Well equipped out of the box (Neck Thru, EMG's, etc)
    -The black one looks slick
    -I could probably get a used one for a decent price
    -It has a floyd... floyds are FUN!

Cons
    -It IS called the Hellraiser. I supposed I could always get a blank truss rod cover made and try to forget about what it is called...
    - It has a floyd. I love playing with them and doing various tricks, however if I were to break a string they are quite the pain. Thats one reason I stopped playing floyd'd guitars.
    -Made in ??? I think Korea. I have not heard too many bad things about the build quality so if someone could shed some light, that would be great.

3. Ibby Xiphos/Jackson WRMG
    Pros

-both have floyds
    -both have good sounding stock pups
    -ones a neckthru, ones a bolt... not a big deal
    -I've heard that these body shapes are the MOST balanced guitars to play standing up and they are super comfortable sitting down.
    -Well priced
    - If I went with the WRMG, I would not have to feel guilty about posting around here lol.
    - The WRMG has a slick looking trans black finish.

Cons
    -Both imports. Again, I've not heard many bad things about the build qualities but I'd really like something that is not an import.
    -Whats the current wait time on a Xiphos? I've heard a week to two months.
    -Probably won't get to play either one before buying it.

Any other suggestions? I have a strat mutt that I could always play in Church or places like that so a slick looking metal guitar is not out of the picture.
    Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 04-07-2007, 11:25 AM.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

I can only say that the Godin Freeway w/EMG's is awesome. I played a gray one in a store here, definitely a quality axe for a good price.
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Used Kramers - the US and Japanese Focus models from the 80s have OFRs, have good stock pups and basically rock.

Comment

I just ordered a Carvin. I'll let you know how it is.

Comment

I don't get it, what's wrong with the name Hellraiser?
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Get a used Ernie Ball Music Man Axis. Fuckin awesome guitars! So dynamic, well built in USA, excellent pickups, beautiful comfy neck, sustain for days, consistent quality. Mine is like magic. LOVE IT!

Your criteria:
            1) floyd or a strat style bridge - check - Very good quality licensed FR
            2) good stock pups - check - Custom wound Dimarzios, hot and dynamic
            3) overall playing comfort - check - Easiest playing, most comfortable guitar I have ever played
            4) build quality - check - probably one of the best most consistent USA mass production guitars made. (no coil tapping though)

And you can get them used in your budget comfort zone. IMHO one of the best price/value USA guitars on the market.

My 2 favs are my EBMM and my PC-1.
            Last edited by Mesaboog; 04-07-2007, 03:13 PM.
            "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Mesa- I would love a used Axis. Actually if I could afford it, a used Luke would be exactly what I am looking for.

The Godin is out. I played it for a while and the neck profile is not what I am looking for.
              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I've only played the Schecter of those you mentioned, but I liked it a lot. It has a more rounded neck profile than that of a typical shred guitar. I'd suggest trying one first (I think most all of the C-series have the same neck profile)

Comment

Yeah, I bought my Axis used for $630 about 5-6 years ago. You can get these used mint now under $1000. I've never played the Luke, but I have not seen these priced as attractively as the Axis.

Well, you just said you'd love an Axis. Buy one used. If you don't like it, you can always turn around and sell it for at least what you paid. It is definitely a guitar that fits the bill based upon what you said you were looking for.
                  "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Working...
                  X