Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for Peavey V-TYPE?

Hi All,

I bought a Peavey V-Type Limited Edition yesterday, and so far I am liking it quite a bit. Sorry, no pictures, my camera is on loan to a friend :p

As expected (from reviews both here on the JCF and from HC), the pickups are indeed the weak poitns of this guitar. They have too much gain, and sound too compressed.

However, the guitar is INSANELY LOUD acoustically when I play it unplugged, almost as if I were playing a thinline acoustic kinda loud. So I am pretty sure it will sound good with the right pickups.

The V-type is a neckthrough , 24 3/4 scale guitar. Maple neck with rosewood fretboard, not sure what the wood for the "wings" are. Some reviews say it's alder, some say it's basswood.

I want this guitar to sound very 80s, but I already have plenty of JB equipped guitars, so I want to try something else. I also have 2 guitars with EMG already, so no EMGs please either.

My favorite tones: DeMartini, Malmsteen, EVH, George Lynch, Randy's live sound, Whitesnake (all eras), Andy Timmons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

I would normally say a Distortion in the bridge, no questions. But since you think the stock pickups are too compressed and high gain, I might suggest one of the Custom series. I have all 3 and love each one of them. The Custom is more straight ahead rock, the Custom/Custom is early VH brown and the Custom 5 is like a hot rodded 59. Take your pick and I'm sure you'll be happy with any of them. For the neck, I'm a big fan of the Duncan APH-1, as I've always prefered A2 pickups in the neck. They're smoother and more bell-like, great for legato runs and soloing.

Comment

What is it that you like about the Distortion? I have heard a lot of people say they like it... it's like a JB with more gain right?

I briefly tried a Custom Custom in my DK2S, and switched out, could be just the guitar though.

Comment

Duncan Custom is a good choice, although I consider the Custom Custom a high-output pickup, although much sweeter sounding than the JB. The Full Shred might be a good one to try - I've liked that one in every guitar I've had it in. It's a nice PAF style p'up. The Dimarzio PAF Pro might be a ggod choice as well.

I always thought the Dunacen Distortion was a "lighter" more articulate sounding p'up than the JB - slightly less "mud", a tad more "brittle". But those are my ears. YMMV.

Comment

I guess I'll give the Custom Custom another chance then, since I already have it. If I don't like that I will try the Full Shred, its specs on the Duncan site seems interesting...

Neck pickup will be a DiMarzio Air Classic, since I love how it sounds in my Yamaha superstrat. Airy, sweet top end, and processed (in a good way) sound.

Comment

Working...
          X