Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I order my custom... but NOT FROM JACKSON! Read this, and compare guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im with Tim, Ive got dunlops on all the guitars I own, NEVER had one problem (doesnt hurt to put a little oil to keep them working smooth) and Schallers HAVE let me down on one occasion.

*Dunlop is great, and like I mentioned, read the card you got with your dunlops, they recommend a little oil in there every once in a while*

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
      Well excuse me but I don't see a hell of a difference between two. If I were to order a custom guitar and pay about 4K. I'd go with Jackson anyway, that's why I'm here, I love "Jackson" guitars the most
      Remember dude... the Jackson, with very "plain" options (it's almost like a standard KV-2 except a few little changes) costs 4800 DOLLARS !!!!!!

While my guitar, that has more details, more expensive options, etc etc, costs 3800 dollars.

It's almost 1000 dollars less.

But that may not mean much of a "difference". NOW, imagine, the same guitar (the Vixen) quoted on Jackson... just think about it. My guitar has full body, neck and headstock abalone purfling + binding, a thicker quilted maple top (not flamed), stainless steel fretwork, etc etc. If I recall correctly, before the "simplified" Jackson quote I posted above, I had one of my "dream" quotes done, which was STILL kinda simple (no abalone purfling or body binding or stainless steel frets), actually, it was almost the same but it had a 5 piece multilaminated neck. The guitar was almost $ 6900....

THINK ABOUT IT MAN...

Comment

I don't think I knew that Matt stopped dealing with the Jackson Custom Shop. Thats sad but it shows you how far the company has fallen. I have a ton of problems with Jackson's way of doing things but nothing but praise for Matt. This sorta clinches it for me though, no more J/C customs for me. I'm done after this one unless the company can right itself. I'm thinking of getting back in touch with Lee of GMW if I ever get another custom.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          I've been using Dunlops for over 20 years. I've had them on 50+ guitars and never had a single failure. The Schallers on the other hand, caused my Spector bass to nearly lose it's headstock. Another set of those are responsible for a nice chunk missing out of a 70's Strat I used to have. Schallers can kiss my ass.
          Tim, what exactly caused your Schallers to fail?

what I know about Dunlops from our bassist who has them is that they have the "press in" button to unlock and Schallers have the "pull-out" stem to unlock. I decided on Schallers because the Dunlop press in button could be pressed in accidentally but the pull out stem cannot be pulled out accidentally.

the only problem I've had with the Schallers is that nut on the outside of the strap fixment tends to vibrate loose. I noticed this a few weeks back and tightened them up again. I'll now use the loctite idea.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I stopped using dunlops and went with Schallers because of a problem with that thin washer that holds everything together (the piece that locks the strap). My techie recommended the Schallers (Fenders now) over the Dunlops.

Comment

Maybe we should open a "Schaller VS. Dunlop Straplocks"...

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                Maybe we should open a "Schaller VS. Dunlop Straplocks"...
                yup, we jacked your thread.

I'll be looking forward to pics of your new custom vixen when it arrives bro!
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                  Remember dude... the Jackson, with very "plain" options (it's almost like a standard KV-2 except a few little changes) costs 4800 DOLLARS !!!!!!

While my guitar, that has more details, more expensive options, etc etc, costs 3800 dollars.

It's almost 1000 dollars less.

But that may not mean much of a "difference". NOW, imagine, the same guitar (the Vixen) quoted on Jackson... just think about it. My guitar has full body, neck and headstock abalone purfling + binding, a thicker quilted maple top (not flamed), stainless steel fretwork, etc etc. If I recall correctly, before the "simplified" Jackson quote I posted above, I had one of my "dream" quotes done, which was STILL kinda simple (no abalone purfling or body binding or stainless steel frets), actually, it was almost the same but it had a 5 piece multilaminated neck. The guitar was almost $ 6900....

THINK ABOUT IT MAN...
                  The only downside I can see is the Rico will not have the re-sale value that the Jackson will. That may not be an issue to you. But the Rico better be cheaper if I'm gonna sell it down the road and get much less than the Jackson...
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

More than likely you'll be able to talk to Bernie Jr throughout the process if you have questions/concerns.

I never concern myself with resale on guitars I buy. I buy only what I like and want and what I can afford. If I have to sell at a later date, so be it. Very few things hold their price so it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya. But I don't plan on selling the guitar anyway.

But, think about this. Rico's guitars are today in a "growing" stage and they are gaining fans, acceptance. So far I've heard no complaints, and among the "new" companies, to me this one has some kind of advantage since it carries the "Rico" name and the BC Rich history. Honestly I just love the idea, the guitar, everyhting, but I do believe that in time this particular brand will gain more and more prestige.

Plus, the fact that Rico's are all custom made, meaning that the only way to get a new one will be ordering it, I think it may kinda help guitars hold their value since they're all custom made to specific options, so in a future, when people will "shop" for used Rico's you can find a whole spectrum of variables, from pikcups, finishes, details, hardware, etc etc.

Anyway, I'm really happy and I truly believe that for an instrument of this quality, the Jacksons with their higher prices and problems (lately) to me, have lost the first place and gone to 2nd.

Comment

Ricos may be gaining in popularity, I'm not too sure on that since I see no-one playing them except for the guitarist for Exodus. But they may be. But are they in the same league as Hamer or Carvin? I don't think so. I only bring up those names because they too have shit re-sale value...

I wish I was rich enough to not have to think about it, even in passing. But I do. I've bought new Hamers and Carvins and have sold them for pennies on the dollar. That bothers me. Maybe not you, more power to you. But it's something I think about anyway. Hopefully you never have to sell it, if you do, I'm sure you'll see what I mean...

And I'm not making excuses for Jackson. They are somewhat out of line with the new pricing. But compaired to some others, they don't look as bad...

Comment

I am like you Leo. I claim no loyalty to any particular manufacturer. If I can get a guitar from a smaller company that has a good reputation and builds guitars play as well if not better, comes with better options for a lower price you can bet your butt I would go with them.

Then again, I am one that once I buy something (guitars, cars, electronics, whatever) I usually keep it until it falls apart so resale is not an issue with me either.

I hope the Rico works out for ya and I look forward to seeing the pics when it comes through!!

Comment

I too am looking forward to some pics and a good review once you get it. Like I said, I know nothing about these guitars so I'd like to hear more...

Comment

I don't know too much about 'em but here is one that sold for $3700 on ebay
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/Bernie-Rico-Jr-V...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                                I don't know too much about 'em but here is one that sold for $3700 on ebay
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/Bernie-Rico-Jr-V...QQcmdZViewItem
                                I think for that price the girl would have to come with it:ROTF:
                                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                                X