Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I order my custom... but NOT FROM JACKSON! Read this, and compare guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going to have to tell us what the big deal is about recessed cavity plates? Because my impression was that Rico didn't do that...sounds like a deal breaker.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
      I've been using Dunlops for over 20 years. I've had them on 50+ guitars and never had a single failure. The Schallers on the other hand, caused my Spector bass to nearly lose it's headstock. Another set of those are responsible for a nice chunk missing out of a 70's Strat I used to have. Schallers can kiss my ass.
      I'm with you. Plus I love the recessed Dunlops. Nothing can touch them.
      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
        Ricos may be gaining in popularity, I'm not too sure on that since I see no-one playing them except for the guitarist for Exodus. But they may be. But are they in the same league as Hamer or Carvin? I don't think so. I only bring up those names because they too have shit re-sale value...

I wish I was rich enough to not have to think about it, even in passing. But I do. I've bought new Hamers and Carvins and have sold them for pennies on the dollar. That bothers me. Maybe not you, more power to you. But it's something I think about anyway. Hopefully you never have to sell it, if you do, I'm sure you'll see what I mean...

And I'm not making excuses for Jackson. They are somewhat out of line with the new pricing. But compaired to some others, they don't look as bad...
        I'm not talking about leagues anyway.

And it's not only "the guy from Exodus" (which actually, it's kinda important), it's also:

Iced Earth
        Strapping Young Lad
        Jerry Only

The rest are not very known people, at least I think so (ScarryGary or something and some other guys, there's this Ernie Carletti too).

Anyway, it wasn't that what turned me into Rico's. It was the fact that I liked the design, the fact that it could be ordered in mahogany and that it wasn't crazy expensive like custom Jacksons. And according to people who own Rico's and Jacksons, most say that the Rico's are way better... Okay, when you are in a honeymoon with a new axe/amp/effect most people say it's the best, so it's not an objective comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sukisyn View Post
          I am like you Leo. I claim no loyalty to any particular manufacturer. If I can get a guitar from a smaller company that has a good reputation and builds guitars play as well if not better, comes with better options for a lower price you can bet your butt I would go with them.

Then again, I am one that once I buy something (guitars, cars, electronics, whatever) I usually keep it until it falls apart so resale is not an issue with me either.

I hope the Rico works out for ya and I look forward to seeing the pics when it comes through!!
          Thanks! But actually, I was "kinda" loyal to certain manufacturers like Jackson, Marshall, etc. But now I believe I'm not. I bought a Carvin V3 without even trying it, just because I read about the quality, heard the clips, saw the video and noticed how great it was and the quality components it had. I was very close from getting a DSL100 from the same store. But when the Carvin came... Groove Tubes, Vintage 30's, 3 channels, smart loops, volume boost, dual effect loops (parallel and series), etc etc... I believe it's the best amp I've ever played with, it sounds amazing, and I've played (and I play at rehearsals) with Mesa's and Marshalls, and my amp gets them from behind, all the way. I've had this amp for almost a year now, so honeymoon's over, but the love ain't got sour

I never heard from Carvin except for the Legacy amps, and even then I though "heh... must be some new small company that needs to sponsor someone famous to rise". But believe me, it's an amazing amp.

Plus, I know that Carvin sells factory direct, no intermediaries, so, probably the V3 series, if sold at Guitar Center, will be well on Mesa's grounds in terms of price, I believe.

As for Rico's it's not like I "took a chance" anyway, I've been studying this for like 4 months and finally I got totally convinced, it's a superior guitar company, makes great custom guitars and the quality is amazing, as well as the sound and playability. And Rico it's not a nobody, it's Rico Sr.'s son, who was building BC Rich guitars up 'till 2002 I believe. Around the time he left the company to start his own, I've heard nothing but complaints about current BC Rich guitars, must be a good sign, since he gets nothing but compliments on his new company.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
            You're going to have to tell us what the big deal is about recessed cavity plates? Because my impression was that Rico didn't do that...sounds like a deal breaker.
            Well, I got over it. I was gong to have ebony plates done until I realized: Easily breakable pieces + OCD... NOT GOOD!

So after thinking it over, I said to myself: "sure, recessed metal plates are great, but in the end, non-recessed plastic plates kinda work the same, and if they break, they are very easily replaceable. Plus, it's on the BACK of the guitar, in contact wih my belly, it's not like I'd be seeing the plates or have something going on with them".

Yeah, I got "straight", in terms of logical thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              I think for that price the girl would have to come with it:ROTF:
              If the girl's included in the auction, I think I'd pull the trigger on this one instead. She's Cheaper! lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/WARWICK-ROCKBASS...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                I'm not talking about leagues anyway.

And it's not only "the guy from Exodus" (which actually, it's kinda important), it's also:

Iced Earth
                Strapping Young Lad
                Jerry Only

The rest are not very known people, at least I think so (ScarryGary or something and some other guys, there's this Ernie Carletti too).

Anyway, it wasn't that what turned me into Rico's. It was the fact that I liked the design, the fact that it could be ordered in mahogany and that it wasn't crazy expensive like custom Jacksons. And according to people who own Rico's and Jacksons, most say that the Rico's are way better... Okay, when you are in a honeymoon with a new axe/amp/effect most people say it's the best, so it's not an objective comment.
                I get what your saying. Sorry if I sounded like I was busting your balls. I like the way you spec'd out this one. Sounds like it will be sweet. Can't wait to see it...
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Congrats! Ill bet it will be awesome looking. Pics soon i hope?
                  I like the 120 days delivery time... allot of us are forgetting that Jackson/Charvel
                  is more like 400 days lately! That in itself, is worth $500

Comment

Why did you change the trans green into trans red? I always thought somone would dream about a particular custom guitar with certain options.. and a sudden change in finish color is a big step imo.. I'm just wondering, that's all
                    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Well, I choose the trans red after seeing how good it looked on Rico's website. There's a Vixen with abalone purfling (except the neck, which mine will have) and it looked awesome. I was determined on having the purfling but It wouldn't look as good on trans green, so that's the reason.

I thought trans green looked great on the KV-2 I was spec'ing, but on the Vixen I believe the Trans red is better, gives it a more dramatic look.

Comment

I think Abalone purfling absolutely goes better with trans green. Obvious reason because abalone has alot of green it naturally and usually not alot of red (unless its a certain kind of abalone). The Vixen as a shape I think tends to look better in red cause its such an aggressive design.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisb View Post
                          I think Abalone purfling absolutely goes better with trans green. Obvious reason because abalone has alot of green it naturally and usually not alot of red (unless its a certain kind of abalone). The Vixen as a shape I think tends to look better in red cause its such an aggressive design.
                          Exactly. But, to me Abalone and green kind of doesn't make a good contrast like red does. So I choose red.

Comment

Cool!! Can`t wait to see this one. I am also done with new Jacksons until they get their act together and lower their prices back down to last years prices as well. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                              Cool!! Can`t wait to see this one. I am also done with new Jacksons until they get their act together and lower their prices back down to last years prices as well. Jack.
                              Get a fork, I think your done. I seriously doubt that prices will ever drop.

For me I still want a Jackson/Charvel guitar. It's great that their are alternatives and I am happy for those that find them. The price increase sucks and I'll either do one of two things, not buy any more or save my money until I can order another one.
                              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Oh I forgot to tell you guys...

The build time is 120 days. But I asked Rico to start the building process around Setpember since I will be in the USA in December. So my idea is to get the guitar around Janueary/February 2008 for 2 reasons:

1) I wouldn't want the guitar to be built by... July and sit around at my dealer's store for 6 months until I get there.

2) I need to at least work for a month to be able to pay-up the difference.

So yeah, it's actually a long wait anyway, but unlike with Jacksons, which maybe if I ordered the guitar around December 2006 I "maybe will" get it around January or February 2008... With Rico I'm sure since my request actually works according to his 120 days period, so I'm sure I'll get it fresh and on time.

Comment

Working...
                                X