Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huh?

ever see one of these before?

Gibson made SuperStrats at one time, though I don't recall one like that.

Comment

Yep, US1's is what they were called. Came in various finishes. Headstock is very Jackson. Also they were light as a feather. The main component was balsa wood. I think it was sanwiched in the middle to make it lighter. Gary Richrath of REO Speedwagon fame use to use these for a little bit. I remember the ad with him in it...
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Wasnt this part of the Wyane Charvel era of Gibson? he helped then design the M series and the US1 series IIRC.
        Gil

Comment

Great look for sure. Shame about the cheap woods. Way overpriced. Too bad, that would be a cool pickup for a good price!! Jack.

Comment

I remember these.
            It's a US1, they also made a US2 if I recall correctly.

I always loved how it looked like a Les Paul impregnated a Soloist.
            A great combo IMO.

I believe they had hollow chambers in the body.

I don't think Wayne Charvel had anything to do with these.

His Gibsons had BC Rich ST3 type body designs and a totally different headstock too.
            Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
            Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

It was during their confused period. They bastardized many strat-like creations. That US-1, the illustrious WRC (wayne Charvel designed with a cheap-o Floyd-a-roo copy), the confused M3 (PRS-like with Explorer reversed headstock) and of course the goofy U-2 (Floyd and Explorer Headstock).

I had a couple of WRC's. Kind of junky with no soul. I even bought one used in the early 90's for $175 bucks. Total junkers and people are paying like $1000+ plus for those turds!

You'd think that modern day Gibson and Fender might start a war with each other by copying each others designs? Not if anyone in that company is still around that remembers that collection of turkeys

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Albertson View Post
                It was during their confused period.
                that I'll agree with.

a lot of their 80's designs were, "Oh crap Charvel and Jackson are selling hot, we have to get into that metal market, but with zero thought about how."

the results were a series of guitars that have the same effect as syrup of ipecac.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Strange...Gibson with Jackson style headstock. Never seen before.

Comment

They bring good money but suck otherwise.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

That trussrod cover just looks so wrong on that headstock.

Comment

By the way, I would say a US-1 in that conditions is worth $275-$$350 (with a case). You can find mint ones going for $750 or so. There still mint because nobody ever wanted to play them!

Comment

I thought Grover Jackson was involved with that one.
                          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I had a US2 (or was it the U2?), and never really liked it, so I sold it.

The wood definitely felt low quality.

But mine had a Kramer banana headstock, not Jackson style headstock.

Comment

I had a us1 looked great, but sounded horrible, did not sound like a gibson or a strat, the single coils where stacked and you could split them with a push- push but even when activated it sounded like shit, it was a nice wallhanger though

Comment

Working...
                              X