Epi Zakk Wylde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epi Zakk Wylde

I played one of these are GC today, and where do I start. Well, the neck on this played just awesome. They are unifished too, so thats a plus for me. The inlay work is also very good. Next, the birdseye maple, while not something you would so on a custom shop guitar of course, looks very nice and smooth. The overall paint job and workmanship was also very good. The engraved trussrod cover was well done and was a nice touch.

Onto the guitar itself, the body felt like a real LP's. Heavy, set neck, and with mahogany body with a maple top. IT played smooth, and as well as a Gibson LP Classic I played the same day at a different shop. The EMGs had a nice chunky, heavy sound to them, and even though the Crate amp I was using was about to fall apart, it just had his tone. In that guitar, I thought the EMG-HZs sounded as nice as the EMG81s in my Charvel.

All and all an outstanding guitar. Anybody here own one of these?

There's a few here who got the model bike...

Comment

hahaha, myself included.
      Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I sold mine

I thought it had a very thiny lacquer layer on the back of the neck.. or was that another, don't remember for sure.

Comment

I had one for a brief time. I was very impressed with the way it looked and felt. And played. And sounded. The neck feels awesome. Your hand just glides right over it.

I haven't heard it with the better EMGs, but the HZs didn't sound that bad to my crappy ears.

I actually wouldn't mind having another someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
            There's a few here who got the model bike...
            I got the Buzzsaw/Sawblade bike. Where's my free guitar?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I almost had one, but it had defective pickups and had to be sent back to china. At least thats what I was told.

Comment

From my limited exposure to them, they seemed to be a well made guitar. I've never been a fan of the EMG-HZ pups, but it was basically a solid axe otherwise. I could handle a little less "yellow" to the bullseye guitar though - it doesn't really amke it look "vintage" IMHO, it just makes it look tan.

I'd take one if I could find it for about half what they're going for new. It also seems like they're all seconds on the US market - not sure why that is... With that said, I've never really been able to find what makes them seconds.

Bullseye, then camo, then buzzsaw if I *had* to have all three...

Comment

This one isn't a second, though I'm thinking they may be dropping the price soon, as the Epi Joe Perry was dropped to $599, and I think the Ace Frehly down to $599 or $699 as well.

Comment

I have both the normal bullseye and the camo bullseye. They have an EMG-HZ 4 (silver logo) in the bridge and the EMG-HZ 4A (gold logo) in the neck. I don't know if the silver is closer to an 81 and the gold one closer to the 85, but I swapped the two and prefer the gold logoed HZ in the bridge. Since you have the 81 in your Charvel, makes sense you like the silver HZ in the bridge position as comes with the Zakk.

Great guitars. If you like the one you played, suggest you try GC for their best deal rather than getting used via ebay. The one I played had a $799 tag on it. I got it for $600+tax ($650 out the door).

Comment

The Camo bullseye with the maple board is supposidly the best one

Comment

Hate to say but I don't I'll ever want one of these guitars after the crap 357 Customs pulled. It turns my stomach just to see one at GC and I wasn't even apart of that whole scam. I just sucked to see so many good people get scammed.
                        Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

yup had the same guitar. Played on it for a few months, decided I am not the "gibson" guy and sold it on eBay. Fedex broke the guitar, spent 2 months talking back and forth with the buyer cause I had not bought insurance. I swear I will never ship out a guitar without getting insurance first.
                          Sam

Comment

It was a 357 scam, not a Zakk scam, and not an Epi/gibson scam. Build a bridge already...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              It was a 357 scam, not a Zakk scam, and not an Epi/gibson scam. Build a bridge already...
                              please elaborate... what is this 357 scam?
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X