No announcement yet.

RG550 paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is another thing to consider regarding stripping the paint.
    The body is basswood. Its very soft. Once you strip the paint off (which is a royal pain in the ass with 550 finishes) you will have to prime and paint it with a very hard durable paint. Also.. because of the sharp body edges... its pretty easy to smooth them out and make the body look like ass.
    Leave it alone. If you don't like the color either send it to a pro and have it done or sell it.

Comment

I too say leave well alone if there is nothing wrong with the paint work at the moment...if you do decide to paint it then you don't even have to wet flat it with 600 paper, all you do is scuff up the surface with a scotch brite pad!!! this goes for anything you are thinking of painting, even car parts!!!

I have stopped Sean from getting me to change a colour on one of his guitar bodies, it is a lovely metallic apple red, i love it but he doesn't but having said that he has just polished and buffed it up of any scratches and it has come up superb that he loves it, now wants me to do some sort of design on it....???

Comment

Thats a pretty rare color.

I stripped a RG and The Body basically fell apart after 2 years, The Trem Posts and the Pick up Rings fell out, cracked and eventually the top horn broke off!

Comment

Originally posted by Posepatrol View Post
          Thats a pretty rare color.

I stripped a RG and The Body basically fell apart after 2 years, The Trem Posts and the Pick up Rings fell out, cracked and eventually the top horn broke off!

dude, that's a scary story.......didn't mark refinish a 550
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I have that exact same guitar. Color and everything.

Comment

Working...
            X