Parkers Worth The Money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkers Worth The Money?

Been thinking about a Parker lately. Played one once.

Can they sound big? Would they be good for shred ?

Can you make these things growl with the tone of a good bolt on guitar?

Sound good in a high gain amp environment ?

I read very conflicting opinions on these things.

COMPLAINTS I HAVE READ:
    Thin Tone
    Tone is Unique - Different
    Too Skinny of a Neck
    Frets Coming Off
    Limited Choices of Pick Ups
    Necks are painted on back and get sticky
    Expensive to Refret (have to send to Parker)

Also have read the frets are kind of flat. But after playing one I a long time ago I just remember the neck was about the fastest and smoothest I have ever seen.

But I have bigger hands and the things may be too skinny after about 2 hours or so of playing. And I can't imagine they would have a big tone like a Maple Topped Mahogany Jackson.

Any opinions or experience with any of you guys owning these?
    Last edited by shredmonster; 04-20-2007, 02:30 PM.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

I've been curious about Parkers too. Specially the Fly Mojo Flame. Mahogany body, figured maple top, Duncans, tremolo with piezo pups, etc etc, never played one though, but they cost more than a USA Jackson.

Comment

My friend has a Fly from the pre-Washburn days. Here's what I like about it:
      • It has to weigh under 5 pounds. It feels no heavier than a small paperback book.
      • The neck is designed for the shred. Very flat, very thin.
      • The bridge is very nice. Can be floating, dive-only, and locked with the flip of a switch. Also, the trem springs can be adjusted without a screwdriver.
      • Unique headstock and body shape. Very comfortable to play.

Here's what I don't like:
      • Very unmetal sound. The Dimarzios in it give a very bright, very well-rounded tone. Does not have much mids.
      • It's expensive.

I haven't heard anything about the reliability. My friend bought his used a few years ago and it's still in perfect shape.

I have played a few of the post-Washburn Parkers and they don't seem to be as well put together and are noticeably heavier. Plus the Parker Teles just look silly.
      Scott

Comment

Well, I think that there are also asian-made parkers, like the tele and the NiteFly.

Comment

I have a Parker Fly Deluxe from the late '90s. Mine sounded thin, then I found that they switched pickups like the year after mine. This dimarzio solves the thin sound problem:
          Get the guaranteed best price on Multi-Effects Processors like the Lexicon MPX-1 Stereo Processor at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

My only other complaint is the neck shape, it is very very thin, doesn't feel like any other manufacturers shape.

I also own a PM-10 and a PM-20G both from Korea. They are some of the best guitars I've seen/played from Korea. Ebony fingerboards, great quality, better more comfortable neck shape than the fly, stock pickups sound great. Super light, one is like 4.5 lbs, the other 5lbs. Heres examples:

I like the PMs better than the Fly Deluxe.

Comment

If Adrian Belew plays them, they must have something.

Comment

I liked the older Deluxe... their expensive models were really nice, though I didn't care much for the cheaper imports.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
              X