No announcement yet.

I started work on a double neck guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied the sealer coats today and what a cool looking woods they turned out to be with a load of clear coating.

Comment

Whoa! Unique! What pickups are you going with?
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That's pretty neat. Nice job!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I started to put in the necks today, I abandoned the idea of having a shorter neck at the bottom so both necks will be regular Fender 25.5 scale necks. I'll probably put a Piezo in the bridge of the bottom neck.

Clamping the necks in place while the glue sets in.

A couple of hours later after the glue has dried.

The backview of the guitar showing off the heels and the backrouts.

Both headstocks, what you see is filler coating on the rosewood veneer of the right headstock, It's gonna look stunning when dried and buffed. I'll probably do the other headstock like that too.

Comment

What pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              What pickups?

:ROTF:
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Well you guys, as you can see, I assembled the guitar. There is still a lot of work to do on it in order to tidy it up but I just HAD to put it together to hear how it sounds.

First and foremost the sections accoustically sound completely different, the lower neck has a fuller more rounded out sound while the upper neck sounds tighter, more focussed. I guess it's because I routed the pocket of the upper neck deeper that makes all the difference. Right now I'm thinking of putting a synth controller on the lower neck.
                Last edited by Blazer; 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM.

Comment

OK, I OFFICIALLY DO NOT CARE WHAT PICKUPS ARE ON THERE NOW

Comment

Thanks for letting us watch. Very interesting project. Glued necks, eh? Never thought you'd go that route.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      OK, I OFFICIALLY DO NOT CARE WHAT PICKUPS ARE ON THERE NOW
                      Ibanez super 58 on both neck positions and a Duncan 59 at the bridge position.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                        Thanks for letting us watch. Very interesting project. Glued necks, eh? Never thought you'd go that route.
                        re-read the message, IT'S NOT FINISHED YET. I still have to apply more layers of clearcoat, then I have to sand them smooth and buff them to shine.

Comment

wow.

just, wow.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Resumed work on my double neck today, when having it assembled I really missed having a bridge pickup at the lower section, I'm kinda baffled at how different the two halves sound from each other, seeing as how I used the same kind of necks, pickups and it's all the same piece of wood. I don't know why both haves sound as different but they just do.

So I applied rosewood veneer on the headstock of the upper neck (No picture of that yet), taped up the body so I could once again apply the heartline and went to the Mill of the workshop of my boss to add another pickup routing.

Here's the body on the routing template, ready to recieve a bridge pickup cavity.

And here it is a few moments later.

Now I'll have to start sanding the body smooth and buff it to a shine. Before assembling it once more and calling it a finished guitar. But that'll take some time.

Comment

I guess it's probably too late now, but for tone variety, did you not think to put in a maple/maple neck instead of both with rosewood fingerboards?

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                                I guess it's probably too late now, but for tone variety, did you not think to put in a maple/maple neck instead of both with rosewood fingerboards?

Well seeing as how different both halves sound from each other that's not really an issue here. What I want to do is tune the upper neck down a full step and keep the lower neck in a normal tuning, that way I don't have to switch guitars during shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X