No announcement yet.

How are the korean Wolfgangs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just wanted to add that it is kind of like comparing a USA Jackson neck to an import.....but perhaps not quite as extreme. Seriously, the neck on my USA DK-1 is like something from a dream every time I pick it up...quite different from the import Jacksons I've tried years ago.

Comment

Since I've seen Koreans sell on ebay for more than a solid color special, it's a no-brainer. Get a solid color special if you're on a budget. The tops on the Koreans look ok until you move the guitar - there's no real depth there like a good flame top. There's very little movement on them. They are paper thin.

BTW, I totally disagree with JGCable - the korean imports aren't nearly as nice as the USA specials. Here's a pic of the special I play... I guarantee it will sound better, play better and just plain BE better than any of the korean guitars.

One other thing is that the neck wood on the korean ones look like some sort of incredibly cheap maple, like wood used for #2 pencils or something. The korean wolfs are ok guitars, but I wouldn't compare them with any of the USAs.

BTW, I prefer the USA Specials over the standards - lighter guitars, and they sound better. The standards have a 'tele twang' to them that I don't like, probably from the 5/8" thick maple arched tops.

Comment

You´ve seen koreans sell for more than solid color USA´s? Well, that´s not the case around here... but it´s probably due to the taxes everything coming from the US gets subjected to.

This is getting tougher than I thought. It´s a shame I´ve never seen or played one of the koreans in person, so I could compare them to the US Specials. But since I´m actually not on a budget I guess I might as well go with an american... which I know is a very solid piece of gear, and cost effective in its own right. The korean Wolfs just caught my eye due to several cheap ones popping up online at the same time.

Comment

Something to think about too is that the USA guitars have a much better chance of being collectible than the Koreans too. I know Peavey made a ton of the USAs, but still...

Here's a Korean:

There were 3 USAs that sold cheaper, and one that sold for the same price. I don't know how pricing is there, but in the US you'd be a moron to buy a Korean guitar for the same $ as a USA, no matter how nice the fake top looks.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by SDLPLTD View Post
            i've played three used ones and for my tastes, the action seems a little high and the Floyd is all the way down to the face...
            Is it me or do I just have great action with my LP?
            ditto!!! i've tried shimming the neck to lower the action but then i fret out. great guitar until i hit the upper registers. i need to get a pro set up because it's beyond my abilities at this point. very nice looker though...

Last edited by SeventhSon; 05-04-2007, 05:26 PM.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
            X