Played a couple of Gibsons today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a couple of Gibsons today.

I was in Amsterdam today and I went to one of the most elaborate musicstores to check out some axes made by the big "G" brand. Since my 2005 Gibson SG is serving me so well I figured that there's no harm done in checking out other Gibsons for a future purchase.

I tried these two.

The SG 3. I always loved the look of a three pickup SG and this warm brown color (the picture doesn't do it justice, it's a really deep shade of brown) made my mouth water and with a price of around 1400 bucks it wasn't that much different from what I paid for my SG Standard. What also wasn't much different from my own SG was the way it played, again I felt that familiar wide and flat neck profile and all the curves were there where I expected them. The guitar sounded really full and creamy and the in-between settings were very un-Gibson sounding although the rotary selector doesn't make for a quick pickup switch.

Then I tried one of these.

The Les Paul BFG in "Ripped Goldtop" finish. The salesman and I were joking that "BFG" could stand for "Billy F Gibbons" to which I promptly launched into "Tush" This guitar blew me away, the raw body and the rough top did nothing to me looks wise ("If i buy this one, I'll sand it smooth and refinish it in a proper Gold top finish." I told the guy) but the feel and sound made up for it. Because of the hollowed out body the guitar is a featherweight and that also translates in a wonderful responsive tone. I loved it's fat neck and even fatter neck pickup, this is one mean snarling P90. The Humbucker was also great, just a light touch of overdrive and your hair is standing up, I tuned it in open G and I was rocking away, what a great blues machine this LP is.

So, if I ever get a GAS attack and I got some cash to buy me something cool, It'll probably be the BFG but I'll modify it so it ends up looking like this.

so BFG doesn't stand for Big Friendly Giant? Damn you, Roald Dahl!

I like the look of the BFG. It's a little rough, and the knobs need replacing, but otherwise, I'm diggin' it. I like the no-inlay look and the P90, and the hollow body is cool.

Although I do remember one member here blowing up at someone who actually liked their BFG...
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I thought BFG stood for Big Fucking Gun.. hmmm...
      "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

love those things...the guns not the gibsons

Comment

why??????
          Sam

Comment

I have been playing my BFG for over 7 months now and still love it. They are as ugly as a guitar gets and I can totally understand most people being turned off by that vibe and all, but, the thing just rips! I keep telling myself I am going to change something on the guitar, like maybe going to a warmer sound bridge pup, but instead I always end up keeping it the same. The looks to me aren't either good or bad. It just is what it is. At less than a grand, I think it was more than worth what I paid.

chuck
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
              I thought BFG stood for Big Fucking Gun.. hmmm...
              Only in the Quake games.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I kinda like the raw look of it, although there ARE some things I'd change: Better knobs, switch tips, and a trussrod cover. I like the fact that it has a raw finish, and has a P90 in the neck position. I tend to gravitate toward the Les Paul Studios and Standards, instead of the Customs, anyway. I guess I like the no-frills, typically. Only thing that puts me off about the BFG is that, and I'm just finding this out, is that it's chambered. Yeah, I like the fact that it lessens the weight, but I don't like how chambers affect the tone.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                  why??????
                  Never played id games?? Well you should

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                    Only thing that puts me off about the BFG is that, and I'm just finding this out, is that it's chambered. Yeah, I like the fact that it lessens the weight, but I don't like how chambers affect the tone.
                    I thought it was mentioned that just about all Les Pauls for the past few years have been chambered or have some weight-relief holes anyway?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know that Standards and I believe Classics both have the weight relief holes. I was under the impression that Studios were not. The chambered models were the Supreme, Cloud 9 and now the BFG I think. Beyond being lighter, chambering takes away some of the tones thickness, yet it still sounds great to me. Weight relieving supposedly does nothing to the tone. You can argue all day long about how stuff like that affects the overall sound of a guitar, but in the end, the best thing to do is play a bunch of different LP's and buy the absolute best sounding and playable one you find. Of course, that is true of any guitar, not just an LP.

chuck
                      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Basic Frikkin' Guitar, perhaps?
                        Buy it For a Grand?
                        Built For Guys/Gals?
                        Bullshit Finish Gold?

Comment

Bad f'king guitar

Comment

Working...
                          X