Fake Les Paul for sale at a Guitar show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Les Paul for sale at a Guitar show

I went to a Guitar show on Long Island today with my son. While walking around having a good time checking out all the great stuff with my son, I spotted a table that some dealer had with some older guitars on it. Right there in the middle was a Black "Gibson" Les Paul Custom with a price tag of $2150.00 on it. First, I must say, if this was a regular guitar dealer he has got to be the stupidist F'in jerk around. It was one of those classic China Fakes...you know, bound headstock with a "Les Paul model" decal on it. The Gibson name was in pearl but went straight across not up like it should. BUT....the biggest sign that it was fake....a 3 screw truss rod cover!!!

I pointed it out to the guy and he acted like he was dumbfounded. I don't know, maybe he was, maybe not. I pointed out all the obvious signs and all he said was "Wow...I thought I got it real cheap from that guy"!!!!! I even got to see the back of the headstock with the serial number stamped in it, but it had no "Made in USA" on it. Like I said I figured a dealer would know what is what considering some of the stuff he had on the table. I checked the other guitars and from what I know, they looked okay. To his credit he took the tag off it and later I had my son go back and check. He replaced it with a tag that said "Fake Les Paul $400." Still too much for it, but I guess that's better, but just in case he wanted to change it back after I left, I made sure that the other dealers on either side of him knew he had a fake there. One guy I've dealt with before at his shop said he would watch this guy and make sure he didn't put the old tag back. He is one of the biggest genuine Gibson Dealers on Long Island so I'm sure he will watch him.

Well.... I had to just tell some one about this. Maybe I stopped some unsuspecting customer from getting ripped off....maybe!!
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Besides the fact that it was an obvious fake, why do you say it wasn't even worth the $400 tag? Did you play it, or was the fit and finish that bad? I mean Chinese made Epis are now selling for that or more. Just curoius if you actually played the thing.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My Epi Les Pauls would blow this thing away. Even my Agile "LP" copies make this thing look like crap. Just holding it and strumming it you could tell it was a cheap copy!
      Guitars:
      1988 Model 2,
      RR3
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

That is funny, makes wonder what the dealler paid for it. LOL
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
          My Epi Les Pauls would blow this thing away. Even my Agile "LP" copies make this thing look like crap. Just holding it and strumming it you could tell it was a cheap copy!
          Even?

In my experience, Agile blow away Epis.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, you're right, the newer Epi's aren't as nice as the new Agiles. I have a couple of older Epi's made in Korea that are absolutely great quality. So I based my opinion on what I have now.
            Guitars:
            1988 Model 2,
            RR3
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

Nice info here:

There are about 8 or 9 brands of guitar covered, including Gibson, Epiphone, Gretch, National, Dobro, Fender- good reference!

I just don't like the feel I get from other than Gibson LPs out there- I have 2 Les Paul Customs and I love 'em both! One has the rare maple fretboard and the other ebony and they both play like dreams! Not to mention the workmanship....the maple one is a '77 Kalamazoo and the other is a '79 Nashville. Pics here: http://www.myspace.com/mr_lizardman

Comment

Working...
              X