Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok...this may be blasphemy...but im not that impressed with PRS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had around a dozen early (pre-91) PRS Customs and Standards. Never got along with the tone of the Customs, not much bottom end, a weird sounding midrange, and harsh highs. Even with pickup swaps, I was never really happy with the tone of the Customs. Too much maple, not enough mahogany.

The Standards are another story, I liked the all mahogany ones, much fatter tone. Kind of like an old LP Special. With Duncans they smoke.

PRS pickups are not very happening IMO. The only one I liked was called the Deep Dish, and they haven't made them in years.

Comment

Opinions vary. IMHO, mine chews up les pauls and spits out chinese greenwood. It's kinda a weird guitar though, it's a semi-hollow quilt 10 top with a wide/fat neck. I'm not a fan of the wide thin necks.

Too bad it's in such great shape and pretty rare (PRS made very few semi-hollow customs, and even fewer with quilt 10 tops) - otherwise I'd have it floyded.

Comment

I've played a few "top shelf" PRS's myself, and I wasnt very impressed with the playability of any of them for the price tag. One of them was set up by my rhythm guitarist who happens to be one of the best set-up men on the planet. Mebbe it was just bad luck, who knows, or their design just doesnt mesh with my hands very well.
        www.myspace.com/madeaband
        www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Not a fan of PRS, as well. Tried em to see what all the hype was about. STILL don't understand the hype. I thought the ones I played felt like some of the cheap crap guitars I checked out, in the 80s. I'm sure there are the PRS-Lovers, but I'm not part of that club.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

I've had a couple. The early Standard was a very uninspiring guitar on all fronts. The Custom from about '94-'95 was a very solid instrument and a nice player.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I bought a Carvin CT6M figuring it will get me close enough to a PRS and I won't have the buyer's remorse because of the price tag.

Comment

The 25" scale makes my hands feel cramped, too.

I have a '91 CE which has been sitting in my closet in its case for about 12 years...
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

You should give it to me... :P

Comment

If the price of a PRS is daunting and you want one, buy used... once they take the first depreciation hit, they level out. You could buy a Carvin fully optioned out for what I paid for mine or close to, but once you resell, the PRS will still hold the value, the new Carvin will drop like a stone. Carvin makes a good guitar, but I prefer PRS. Again, it's all personal taste though.

Pete

Comment

I played one once (don't remember what model) and it just doesn't have that feel for rock guitar. Seems to be made more for jazzy, Carlos Santana type stuff - easy rock, if you will. Crap... I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Pay no mind to me. Is it Memorial Day weekend yet?
                      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        Opinions vary. IMHO, mine chews up les pauls and spits out chinese greenwood. It's kinda a weird guitar though, it's a semi-hollow quilt 10 top with a wide/fat neck. I'm not a fan of the wide thin necks.

Too bad it's in such great shape and pretty rare (PRS made very few semi-hollow customs, and even fewer with quilt 10 tops) - otherwise I'd have it floyded.

You let me know first if you ever sell that one?? I keep looking at
                        it in your "room" pic you show.. Outside makes that quilt explode!
                        fantastic!

Comment

I've tried a handfull and I have never been impressed. In fact most of the time when I see a PRS I start to yawn immediately...unless the birds are on the neck...then I start to yawn after the default 5 second delay.
                          My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                            IMO if im going to get into the mid $3500 area, i should
                            spend that on a Brian Moore, or Tom Anderson.
                            What about a GMW archtop? You can get neckthru and any pick-ups you want?

Comment

I hate PRS on principle so I won't even give them a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X