Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Blue Sparkle

Pics first. Text below.

This is a Holy Grail type score for me. I've got a thing for blue Les Paul's, especially blue tops with natural back. I was stunned when I first saw this, I have never seen this color before. I can't believe I got it. The fact that someone routed it for humbuckers was a bonus to me. I can play it and not feel guilty about being the one who did it. What an absolutely kick ass guitar!

So, anyone ever seen one of these before? Know anything about it?

I know Gibson offered the LP Deluxe in 'Rocket Red' and 'Baltic Blue' during the mid-'70's. But I've never seen this shade of blue, which I like way more than the Baltic Blue.

Baltic Blue photo

Rocket Red photo

sick!!

Comment

Nice Norlin....Cool as hell.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

wow. that is a rare finish.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

awsome finish.
          no sig.....

Comment

70's LP's are cool because of maple neck. They still have all the beef but the attack is way more deifned. It's a shame that the only maple neck LP's now are the artist models/replicas.
            Because I don't say it
            Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

sweet!

Comment

Les Paul with a sparkle finish. Me likey.

Great score, bro!

Comment

very cool!
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

VERY cool indeed! If you ever want to sell it let me know! I am willing to bet though that Gibson never offered that color and that it is a Gold Top with a refinned top.

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
                      VERY cool indeed! If you ever want to sell it let me know! I am willing to bet though that Gibson never offered that color and that it is a Gold Top with a refinned top.
                      My thoughts too. Then I looked at the pics of the Baltic Blue one and I can't see a huge difference in the shade. Yours looks a little darker but thats it. So I'm guessing a refin or it is Baltic Blue, just a little darker...

But with the routing out for the humbuckers, maybe they did refin the top at the same time...

Maybe it's me but I get a little sad when I see a Deluxe that was altered to be a Standard. I mean, if you wanted a Standard, why not just buy a Standard...
                      Last edited by Bengal; 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM.
                      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

They definitely offered that color from the factory. I think they began production around late '74 or early '75. One guy at the LP forum says 241 were made and that production of those colors ended sometime in the early '80's. I know of a local shop that had one that was dated around '81 or '82 and he was asking 2K, and that was about 10 years ago.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys!

And the finish is original.

Originally posted by circle of the tyrants View Post
                          They definitely offered that color from the factory. I think they began production around late '74 or early '75. One guy at the LP forum says 241 were made and that production of those colors ended sometime in the early '80's. I know of a local shop that had one that was dated around '81 or '82 and he was asking 2K, and that was about 10 years ago.

Any idea what the factory name of the color is? Or is it just a darker shade of 'Baltic Blue'?

Comment

Originally posted by Archtop View Post
                            Thanks for the compliments guys!

And the finish is original.

Any idea what the factory name of the color is? Or is it just a darker shade of 'Baltic Blue'?

To be honest, I've never heard of it being called anything other than "blue sparkle". I've seen LP's that were blue being referred to as "frost blue", but I think that may be another name for the "baltic blue" you mentioned.

Comment

Blue sparkle is all I've heard it called.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X