Mini-hum mutt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-hum mutt

I've been after a mini-humbucker guitar for a while now. No deals came around so I decided to throw one together. I've had a scalloped Strat neck hanging around for a while so I got a Mexi Strat body w/bridge and jack plate off Ebay, a Warmoth pickguard, and a set of Duncans. Voila! I busted out a forstner bit and gave the body a swimming pool route, bolted it together, and soldered it last night - it's pretty damn cool! I did literally no setup on it at all and it actually plays and intonates pretty well. It needs some tweaking but nothing drastic at all.

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Tim,
    That's pretty bad ass! I like it...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Which Duncans did you go with in there? And how do you like 'em?
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne View Post
        Which Duncans did you go with in there? And how do you like 'em?
        SM3B - Seymourized Mini Humbucker, Bridge
        SM1N - Vintage Mini Humbucker, Neck

So far, so good. The bridge pickup is somewhere between a Tele and a PAF - it's got some chunk and some twang - it's pretty neat. The middle position is very cool running in stereo with a nice wide chorus. The neck pickup is like a mellow humbucker.

- Newc

Comment

That's pretty darn cool Tim! I like it!

chuck
          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Awesome. Love that color blue.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like that alot Tim.

Comment

Can you get a tone like Adrian Smith on early Maiden records? That's the only reason I'd want to try mini's. I've never played a mini loaded axe - some sort of "mental" thing with me - just never was interested.

I might be more open now. I've always had my 63 SG Special and liked the P90's, and I have 77 Custom LP with weak (7.6K) T-Tops. I love the bark and bite of those through a loud classic Marshall.

Comment

That is nice Don love the color.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Can you get a tone like Adrian Smith on early Maiden records? That's the only reason I'd want to try mini's. I've never played a mini loaded axe - some sort of "mental" thing with me - just never was interested.

I might be more open now. I've always had my 63 SG Special and liked the P90's, and I have 77 Custom LP with weak (7.6K) T-Tops. I love the bark and bite of those through a loud classic Marshall.
                    To me it's about different tones. I've got multiple standard humbucker guitars so I really wanted something different. This guitar has delivered that thus far. I got to crank it some last night and it was really sounding good. I'm not sure about early Maiden tones specifically - I'd have to go back and listen. But this thing could do metal if you wanted - it cuts through great and has more low end in the bridge than I was expecting.

- Newc

Comment

That rocks!

Comment

Looks like fun man!
                        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

That looks cool. I've been wanting a SM3B for a single coil LP project for quite some time now. They pop up on eBay from time to time. About a year or two ago.. someone blew out a whole bunch at 30.00/pc BIN on eBay. If you can get em for 50.00 newish, your doing well.

Comment

Very nice hippie bro!
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

looks really cool tim, i like the color
                              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                              X