My Next Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Next Custom

OK after much deliberation I have narrowed my choice of my next Custom guitar down to 3 companies.

1) Moser Custom Shop SS Superstrat Walnut/Maple Top

2) Suhr 24 Fretter coming out next year - they said they will be competing with the smaller neck heel style guitars such as Ibanez

3) USMasters new 24 fretter

Here are pics of the Moser and the US Masters.
    I have no Idea what the Suhr will look like.

I hear good things about Moser playability and sustain on their forum.
    Don't know about the neck specs though. Suppose to be a C style neck as opposed to a combination radius. And really flat fretboards unless specified.
    20" unless you tell them something different. They make between 12" and 20" but I don't think they do a combination radius. Maybe they can since its a custom - don't know.

USMasters has a unique neck joint that would be slimmer than the Moser but I don't like the headstock. But their guitars are suppose to have great tone and sustain due to the patented neck joint construction. And combination radius. Have heard very good things about these guys.

Suhr - nuff said.

Here are the pics...
    Moser

US MASTERS - check out the upper fret access!
    MOSER
    37.93%
    US MASTERS
    6.90%
    SUHR
    55.17%

The poll is expired.

PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

I prefer the look of the Moser. The upper fret access looks just as good as on the US Masters.. and the US Masters headstock sucks.

I'm sure all three options are great quality guitars.
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

+1

Comment

dude, you should include Rico Jr...

Comment

im not sure if they changed much but i played a used US masters soloist type & was unimpressed. very nice woods, fit & finish was real nice but it sounded kinda dead. the feel wasnt also that impressive, big round neck which i usually like but it felt cheap. its hard to explain but i didnt like it.

i had the chance to check out a Moser templar series guitar for a bit, very very impressed. being a BCR guy ive spoken to a few collectors whove added mosers to their collections & have said they are second to none if thats what your after. obviously BCR collectors would feel very at home with one of his. since he was the MAN so to speak.

& rico JR, it blows my mind how he's a builder, as far as i know he didnt build a single guitar at BCR.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
            i had the chance to check out a Moser templar series guitar for a bit, very very impressed. being a BCR guy ive spoken to a few collectors whove added mosers to their collections & have said they are second to none if thats what your after.
            The Templar series looks impressive. I am leaning towards the Moser or Suhr.

Without knowing what the Suhr will look like - they are introducing them NAMM Jan 2008 - I am sure these will be killer as well.

Hell I may go for both.

Did the Mosers have a huge neck heel ? - (not that it bothers me - I have large hands and love my Jackson Demon - which is about as big of a neck heel as you can get and I have no problem with it)
            Just wondering about upper fret access on a Moser
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

None of the above. I vote Jackson Warrior or Kelly with carved top body. Neither have been done yet.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Re the Moser neck heel...I can tell you that Neal does NOT prefer to do angled/scalloped/slimmed down neck heels, and because the Templars are available with limited options I'm not sure you could order one that way anyway. He builds his bolt-ons a certain way to ensure maximum tone and sustain for that design.

I'm currently having a custom bolt-on built by MCS so I may be biased. I'm trusting Neal on points of the build like the neck joint, because the man knows what he's talking about.

I'm pretty sure you can specify a different fingerboard radius and neck contour on the Templars, though. Contact MCS through their user forum for specifics.

Comment

If the new US Masters model looks anything like the picture, I'd go with that, although I'd prefer a reverse headstock if that's the shape they're sticking with.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hehehe, you're gonna buy that 24-fret Suhr anyway, so its really "Moser or US Masters". I vote for Moser.

Comment

Have you considered Rico?
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

IMO the Moser looks super! That body is amazing. I agree with
                        the headstock comment on the USM...sucks, and looks like a
                        swollen Balloon knot! Go with the Moser.. especially if you can get
                        a 14.5 or Radius that you like? For me, im going Carvin on my next
                        custom. Their quilt tops, and binding and necks are on par with PRS
                        but cost 1/2!

Comment

I've played *most* of the MCS guitars since he started the company a few years back.

Fit, finish, playability...pretty much flawless.

You can spec any neck profile or radius on any of the guitars, including the Templars. He likes to build thicker necks because they're less susceptible to warpage. Believe me, he will try to sell you on a thicker neck. His personal guitars....man...baseball bat doesn't even come close. However, he will build pretty much any profile and size you want. I went to his shop and he measured the neck on my Beast with calipers. So if you can give him measurements or get him to do it in person go for it. Fretboard radius, whatever you want.

The bolt ons tend to have thicker neck heels. I've played them and it doesn't bother me.

Templars are built quickly...there's no hard finish and limited options. When you go custom, GMW paints, and they can take a loooong time. If you want funky inlays, talk to Neal first. He's getting setup to do CNC inlays but it'll be a while.

I have a Moser 10 (basically a Bich). It plays VERY well.

Neal mills his frets and you will get SUPER low action. If you don't like low frets, specify jumbos. They will probably be a little lower than you're accustomed to (he said he takes off roughly 10% of the fret when milling) but it will play great.

Any MCS questions, post or PM me. I was Neal's art director for a while so I know a lot about the specs and models of the guitars. I had to write the specs and copy for prior versions of websites and NAMM flyers and Guitar World ads.

Comment

Suhr was my vote but the Moser stuff looks amazing as well. I've had the opportunity to play a number of Suhr's since moving to the Raleigh area and they are just fantastic. The Suhr neck carves are fantastic
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

One more thing...I'm not sure if Neal will top a guitar; he might do it on a bolt on, but probably not on a neckthru. The Templars are solid walnut. He's put in a quilted maple center in at least one of the Templars. If you want a quilted/flamed guitar, he'll make the wings a solid quilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X