Rich Lasner era Yamaha Pacifica 1412

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Lasner era Yamaha Pacifica 1412

Not my axe (unfortunately), but I am just blown away by this guitar. The quality is just sick! Puts many USA Jacksons to shame, really. Pix just do not do it justice.

I had a number of high end Pacificas - they were ALL amazing guitars. They have a fit & finish second to NONE. Kinda shitty resale though - I got killed on resale of mine.

That's a beautiful axe.

Comment

I've always wanted one of these.
      Another overlooked gem that's a definite bargain.
      They're a rare find nowadays though, and that one has the best finish I've seen yet.
      Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
      Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

I´ve had a few high-end Pacificas from different eras, and they have all been killer guitars and insane value for the money. Two things to keep in mind is that even some of the high-end ones have seriously crappy single-locking Floyds which should be steered clear of, and that most of the necks are very slender.

Comment

Whats the scale of that guitar?

Comment

I've never had one that wasn't 25.5".

Comment

I have had 3 all were shell pink,2 were chambered bodies 1 solid.Very high quality.I had the original reciept on 1 of the chambered bodied 1412s and it was $1,875.00 retail.This one sold for $1,395.00.The sales tag is hard to read but it looks like the date of sale was 1-19-94.
              I never paid more than $500.00 for one.No resale value but killer guitars none the less.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Regarding scale length, I believe the Pacificas and the RGX´s are 25.5", but the RGZ´s are 24.75".

Comment

In other news, I picked up a REALLY CLEAN Pacifica 712 yesterday for 2 bills... I'm Pacifica jonesin' again - BIG TIME! It's amazing really - such good quality for such a low price. They never really lit the world on fire though, and for the life of me, I don't know why. The only players I can think of that were sporting Pac's were Mike Firkins, Craig Goldy, and Bill Leverty. I sure miss my Yellow 1221 with maple board and black "Z" inlays... I got that one for about $175 - someone misspelled it on eBay ("Pacifer"), so I got it for next to nothing. Shoulda held on to it, but I think I sold all my Pacs (821, 912 J, 921, 1221, 1230 S) when I went back to Charvel Model & SD series guitars, which I then sold for a bunch of BC Rich's.

Comment

There are especially two Pacificas I have the most fond memories of. First, I had the Leverty-esque tele, just like his yellow strat but a slimmed tele instead. I think it might have been the 1212? Anyway, the neck was way too slim for me and I couldn´t get the bridge to work properly...otherwise it was a very good guitar and looked really flashy. Second, I had the one Mike Firkins played, a black H/S/H strat with rosewood board. That one I actually wonder why the heck I let go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                      There are especially two Pacificas I have the most fond memories of. First, I had the Leverty-esque tele, just like his yellow strat but a slimmed tele instead. I think it might have been the 1212? Anyway, the neck was way too slim for me and I couldn´t get the bridge to work properly...otherwise it was a very good guitar and looked really flashy. Second, I had the one Mike Firkins played, a black H/S/H strat with rosewood board. That one I actually wonder why the heck I let go.
                      The necks are "Ibanez thin" and then some on those - if you don't like Ibanez-thin necks (think Wizards on the 550's thin), then you won't like these. I think they're even wider than Ibanez, but at LEAST as thin. I liked the 900 series best. I think the 712 I have has the same profile - at least it feels like it. The 812 & 821 superstrats (w/Floyds) did not have that really thin profile though - they were more like the Charvel Model series necks.

Super-Tele = 1230 S (S = single cutaway)

If it had the maple board then it would be the 1230 MS (MS = maple board, single cutaway)

I had the one with the triple P-100 Dimarzios in it, reddish w/rosewood board and pearl "Z" inlays. I didn't like the way that one felt though - it was the way the guitar hung. It put my wrist at a weird angle, and was never comfortable, even though the neck was the same as the 1221 double cut I had. I liked that one, but wouldn't buy another because of that, no matter how good the deal.

I'd love to get my hands on a 1421 some day though. Basically Yamaha's answer to the Soloist. Had a couple chances, but they never came to be.
                      Last edited by chrisolson; 05-21-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I stand corrected - then the tele was a 1230MS. I seem to be unable to ever learn their model designations. And you´re right on the money regarding the neck, it´s insanely thin and I have never seen a more pronounced "shred" neck.

The Firkins model, whatever its actual name/number was, had a more normal neck shape, it was actually pretty substantial for being a Yamaha... probably a wide Lynch-style 1 3/4" width as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                          Yeah, I stand corrected - then the tele was a 1230MS. I seem to be unable to ever learn their model designations. And you´re right on the money regarding the neck, it´s insanely thin and I have never seen a more pronounced "shred" neck.

The Firkins model, whatever its actual name/number was, had a more normal neck shape, it was actually pretty substantial for being a Yamaha... probably a wide Lynch-style 1 3/4" width as well.
                          Names are always easier than numbers!

He was playing the 912 or 921, but as those necks were made by Warmoth, it could have been full-on custom for him. Who knows... I've had a number of them (always looking for more...), and they are my favorite of the bunch so far. Just a little more girth than the 1200 series guitars, but still very wide/flat. I had a 912 J with a see-thru Blue finish (ash body - slightly thinned out), and that was my favorite sounding/playing guitar of all the Pacificas that I had.

I've never tried the Mike Stern model either though (1511 MS) - that was the tele-shaped one. I'd like to check out one of those sometime.

Comment

My cousin the bluesman has played the Stern for about ten years, I guess. I´ve checked it out a few times, and if I were looking for a classic tele with a bit of a modern twist I´d definitely consider one. Great quality. I can´t ever recall seeing one for sale, though, but to be honest I haven´t really been looking.

Comment

Yamaha is the most under rated guitar company out there. I have yet to play one that was a bad guitar and wasn't a major value.

Comment

Working...
                              X