Gibson Melody Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Melody Maker

I had to run up to the DC area for a family emergency this past weekend so during a moment where I just needed to get the hell away from the hospital I went to Chuck Levin's and checked one of these new Melody Makers out. I was already curious then a buddy of mine got one and raved about it.

This guitar is way cool. The neck feels fantastic. The fit and finish is nothing special - it's the cheap "faded" finish - I got a white one. The tuners are plastic tipped (like the originals) but work well. The wrap around tailpiece is very cool. It's wierd that they didn't do the pickup just like the originals but oh well. It's very lightweight because the body is a good bit thinner than a Les Paul. The guitar sings. The sustain was fantastic. I played it through the Marshall 18-watt reissue and it was freakin' killer - that would be a great classic rock combo. Then I played it through a Budda Superdrive with KT66's - holy shit, that amp is unreal! One thing about the Melody Maker, the pickup is extremely bright - I was playing with the tone control down around 3-4.

It looks like a standard Strat pickup would work in it without mods so I'm thinking of doing some experimenting. Some folks have already modded them for P-90's

For $309, it is a *very* cool guitar.

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

To be honest I dont think these are really made in Nashville.Just my gut feeling.Maybe China or Spain.The fit and finish is just not up to par.JMO
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The fit and finish ain't like you'd expect on a $2k guitar - that's for sure. It's a faded/satin finish which is very thin. Why do you think it's not made in the USA? They are stamped made in the USA.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        To be honest I dont think these are really made in Nashville.Just my gut feeling.Maybe China or Spain.The fit and finish is just not up to par.JMO
        do you mean they are too nice to have come out of Nashville?
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I've heard this rumor too. I don't know if it's valid or not but I have heard they are made in China. I've heard that about alot of the Faded line...
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

i don't know about these, would they look to cheap to be made in america. but if they meet tims needs hell, what does it matter where they are made.
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
              i don't know about these, would they look to cheap to be made in america. but if they meet tims needs hell, what does it matter where they are made.
              I think the problem lies somewhere in the "Made In USA" stamp on the back of the headstock...

I'm not saying they are not cool guitars. I'm just saying there has been alot of squawk about these and other Faded models...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

a while ago they were giving em away free with the purchase of a 3 grand Les Paul, You seem to be describing typical cheap ceramic single coil in your accessment of the tone, a pair of P-90s would do wonders for a lot of guitars
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

wasn't there a thread right here in JCF that gibson was getting parts assembled in china and still stamping them as made in USA? I could be wrong, but something about the gibson-china rings a bell.

Isnt the lead-singer from greenday using one of these? he's got a pretty beat up one. If its only $300+ I wouldn't mind having one of those. But the LP shape...*shudders*

EDIT: wait a min, you started the chinese gibson thread tim.

Last edited by emperor_black; 05-22-2007, 06:02 PM.
                  Sam

Comment

Isnt the lead-singer from greenday using one of these? he's got a pretty beat up one. .

LP jr.
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

duh! that shows my ignorance for greenday. AND gibsons! :ROTF:
                      Sam

Comment

his model is stupidly high priced.
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Ya know, thats what else I thought when I first saw these. It smells of Chinese parts put together in the US. I played one of these, and to be honest, I just wasn't impressed. But I'm just not a Gibson person I thikn. Epiphone makes a few guitars I like, but I haven't found a non-custom Gibson yet that just amazed the hell out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                            his model is stupidly high priced.
                            The Billie Joe Armstrong model is $1469 MAP. How is that stupidly high priced? Most signature models are at least in that price range. The two I've played were very cool. Plus the case has a leopard skin printed interior

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              Plus the case has a leopard skin printed interior
                              I want one! The case, not the guitar.
                              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                              X