Gibson Melody Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
    The Billie Joe Armstrong model is $1469 MAP. How is that stupidly high priced? Most signature models are at least in that price range. The two I've played were very cool. Plus the case has a leopard skin printed interior
    compared to the $369 counter part.......... what better pick ups and a better paint job....... if that, where does the the other $1000 odd end dollars go?
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
      wasn't there a thread right here in JCF that gibson was getting parts assembled in china and still stamping them as made in USA? I could be wrong, but something about the gibson-china rings a bell.

Isnt the lead-singer from greenday using one of these? he's got a pretty beat up one. If its only $300+ I wouldn't mind having one of those. But the LP shape...*shudders*

EDIT: wait a min, you started the chinese gibson thread tim.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...t=gibson+china
      I remember that. It turned out to be the normal HC crap.

Look, I'm not pretending this is some major killer awesome unbelievable guitar. It has a great neck feel, nice sustain, and looks cool (to me). I look at it as a great platform for $309. So I'm going to sand the neck down and I'll probably swap the pickup out since I have a bunch of Strat pickups to try.

I don't know if these are secretly made in China. It would suck if they were - I try to buy US made goods whenever I can and I certainly wouldn't like to be deceived like that.

BTW, I had a Faded Les Paul Melody Maker a few years ago that I regret selling. A buddy of mine had sanded and oiled the neck and it felt incredible. It had a P-90 and TOM bridge. It was a smokin' blues/rock guitar. These new Melody Makers are probably just left over stuff from that run.

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
        compared to the $369 counter part.......... what better pick ups and a better paint job....... if that, where does the the other $1000 odd end dollars go?
        Well, the Billie Joe Armstrong model comes with a case, better hardware, better pickups, significantly better finish, etc. And the rest is profit for Gibson and Billie Joe. Just like a USA Fender artist model - they're all at least $1399 MAP.

- Newc

Comment

I love my old Melody Maker too, best $100 i ever spent...i really wanna check a new one out, but i just bought a new bass soooo........

Comment

They aren't bad guitars at all I've had a few.But there is just something about them I'm not sure what.
            The Billie Joe is very cool I'd love to have one.
            I have had vintage melody makers and they are very different from the new ones.Maybe a different species of mahogony.Not dissing your guitar Tim in fact I do like it a lot.... the white is very cool.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I played a vintage double-cut MM in a pawn shop a while back. There's definitely something addictive about that neck profile.
              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                They aren't bad guitars at all I've had a few.But there is just something about them I'm not sure what.
                The Billie Joe is very cool I'd love to have one.
                I have had vintage melody makers and they are very different from the new ones.Maybe a different species of mahogony.Not dissing your guitar Tim in fact I do like it a lot.... the white is very cool.
                The vintage ones are different for sure - I've had a couple pass through my hands over the years. At a minimum, they had better finishes and pickups. The neck carve feels pretty close though. I've never gotten my hands on an SG Melody Maker - I think one of those would be very cool.

- Newc

Comment

I have a new MM RI. I hand picked mine from about 3 or 4 of them. The one I picked sounded the best to me, and happened to be the heaviest of the bunch also. MY MM is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. I LOVE the pickup..it SCREAMS IMO, esspecially with higher gain. The box it comes in is super cool also. The MM will require routing for most Strat pickups. Something like a EMG that doesn't have the triangle hanging from the bottom should fit though...

Comment

hmm i want 1 but it would get routed for a seymore 59 pickup. does any 1 in the usa fancy posting me 1?
                    no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      To be honest I dont think these are really made in Nashville.Just my gut feeling.Maybe China or Spain.The fit and finish is just not up to par.JMO

Wouldn't it be illegal to do that? I'm pretty sure there must be a law against it.
                      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        I remember that. It turned out to be the normal HC crap.

Look, I'm not pretending this is some major killer awesome unbelievable guitar. It has a great neck feel, nice sustain, and looks cool (to me). I look at it as a great platform for $309. So I'm going to sand the neck down and I'll probably swap the pickup out since I have a bunch of Strat pickups to try.

I don't know if these are secretly made in China. It would suck if they were - I try to buy US made goods whenever I can and I certainly wouldn't like to be deceived like that.

BTW, I had a Faded Les Paul Melody Maker a few years ago that I regret selling. A buddy of mine had sanded and oiled the neck and it felt incredible. It had a P-90 and TOM bridge. It was a smokin' blues/rock guitar. These new Melody Makers are probably just left over stuff from that run.

Sure looks better WITHOUT that horrid pickguard on it!

Comment

I sanded the neck down yesterday. Fortunately for me, Gibson are cheap bastards and that finish came off in about 30 minutes with 150 grit. I sanded it down to 320 and oiled it. After that dried I hit it with some 400. It feels great!

Then I "routed" room for a standard Strat pickup tab using a forstner bit in my drill press. The pickup opening in the pickguard was just a tad too small for a standard pickup - a little filing took care of that. I swapped out the stock pickup for a Dimarzio Super Distortion S.

Finally, I had a Tone Pros lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece that I've never used so I put that on as well.

The guitar is really fun now. It's still pretty plain and has a dull finish but it plays amazing and sounds fantastic too! It's a helluva guitar for $309 and the opportunity to use some parts out of the drawer!

- Newc

Comment

take some pics.

Comment

Yeah pics and a clip too
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X