No announcement yet.

Gibson Melody Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to get rid of the original pickup for cheap?

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
    I sanded the neck down yesterday. Fortunately for me, Gibson are cheap bastards and that finish came off in about 30 minutes with 150 grit. I sanded it down to 320 and oiled it. After that dried I hit it with some 400. It feels great!

Then I "routed" room for a standard Strat pickup tab using a forstner bit in my drill press. The pickup opening in the pickguard was just a tad too small for a standard pickup - a little filing took care of that. I swapped out the stock pickup for a Dimarzio Super Distortion S.

Finally, I had a Tone Pros lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece that I've never used so I put that on as well.

The guitar is really fun now. It's still pretty plain and has a dull finish but it plays amazing and sounds fantastic too! It's a helluva guitar for $309 and the opportunity to use some parts out of the drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
      You want to get rid of the original pickup for cheap?
      Nah - I'll let it go for lots of money though
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
        Nah - I'll let it go for lots of money though
        Doh!...

Comment

The guitar looks great Tim! Now, the body just needs a real paint job

It's strange but it looks like Gibson skips the grain filling process. That's where you save $2666.99 in costs on MAP:ROTF:
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
          X