No announcement yet.

Another Uncle Mat guitar for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much point posting pics. It looks exactly like it does in the ebay pics above, perhaps a tad darker. It's got a lovely vintage patina, but no scars to speak of. It's been played, and loved, but very well looked after. The frets are not original, so it's likely this thing has been played a lot.

I replaced the knobs because 2 of them were cracked. I replaced them with the exact same kind. I polished it up, oiled the fretboard, restrung it, and plugged it in. Intonation was set-up perfectly by the previous owner. I think that's a first for me. It balances flawlessly as expected (it's a V), and has a nice weight to it. Significantly heavier than a Gibson V, definitely more like a LP. I'm guessing around 8lbs. The pickups sound great. I'm not sure what they are, but I might keep them in there.

The neck is pretty much typical LP shape. Perfect for me.

I'll have to replace the nut, as the spacing is pretty bad. I'll also be chucking the crappy LP type tuners, and putting on some Schallers. The tuners are fucking awful, flimsy, shit. If I decide to change out the pickups, I'm gonna have to see about getting a double creme Custom Custom.

Anyway, it's pretty much as good as every other Uncle Mat I've had, which says a lot.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

thats a really cool piece, bro.

but why do you call it an Uncle Mat?

what does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged View Post
        thats a really cool piece, bro.

but why do you call it an Uncle Mat?

what does that mean?
        Made in the legendary Matsumoku guitar factory in Japan. They were responsible for guitars sold under a number of brand names during the seventies and eighties. Aria, Aria Pro II, Greco, Westone, Westbury, Epiphone, Skylark, Vantage, Washburn, Univox, Electra, etc.

They have never really attained anything more than a cult following, but are some of the best constructed guitars you can find.

Last edited by zeegler; 06-04-2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

About those pickups, Matsumoku had the licence rights of producing Dimarzio pickups so while not being USA made Dimarzio's they are the next best thing. My guess is that those pickups are copies of the Dimarzio dual sound but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
            About those pickups, Matsumoku had the licence rights of producing Dimarzio pickups so while not being USA made Dimarzio's they are the next best thing. My guess is that those pickups are copies of the Dimarzio dual sound but I could be wrong.
            I'm gonna have to yank one, to see if there are any markings on the back.

Comment

Working...
            X