Let's talk 12 strings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk 12 strings...

So I tried this Takamine in GC today and really liked it. Didn't love it enough to buy, but it did give me enough of a thrill that it got me thinking about adding a 12 string to the stable.

And yet, it also got me thinking that I really know very little about who makes a decent, quality, & fair-priced 12 string nowadays. I'm thinking Carvin, as I've got a great A/E from them already. But I want to know what other options, recommendations you guys might make. Edumicate me. And, if you've got pics, show me what you've got.

Taylor. I always say Taylor
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I had a Carvin DC120 for a little bit. It was very cool, but ultimately I just didn't use it much and sold it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a love / hate relationship with my Ovation: love the sound and the neck, hate the slippery bowl. That said the Elites and Elite Standards are excellent buys in the used market.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          Taylor. I always say Taylor
          ********** The most beautiful acoustic ive ever seen was a
          custom Taylor Koa 12 string for $5900.00! Until seeing my friends
          Carvin Koa AC40 acoustic bass, which is very close to this quality of
          Koa for only $1600.00 Ive got to post new pics after seeing this
          Carvin in person! It puts to shame ANY Jackson/Charvel ive ever seen
          for finish quality!

Comment

I loved the Larrivee L03-12 string I played. It's a very cool guitar, especially for the price when you compare it to the other guys (I believe somewhere around $1000 or so?). It has it's own sound (if your not familiar with them) with sweeter highs and lows, but dosen't have that midrange bite that Martin's have. It's still my favorite acoustic though and the 12 string version sounds amazing

Comment

last year I got my holy grail 12 string, a vintage USA Guild, from when they were made in Westerly RI.

1977 F212 - built like a truck and it rarely goes out of tune

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                last year I got my holy grail 12 string, a vintage USA Guild, from when they were made in Westerly RI.

1977 F212 - built like a truck and it rarely goes out of tune

I had a J-65 forever. Years of typing improperly for 8-12 hours a day took it's toll on my hands though - I could no longer play that guitar - my hand would cramp within 10 minutes of playing it. It was fantastic sounding:

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

yeah yours was the updated super deluxe model and mine is the kinda plain 70's model. I love those inlays and neck binding on the J.

fortunately my hands have never cramped from playing guitar, I can go from that 12 to my Model 2 no problem.
                  Last edited by skorb; 05-30-2007, 01:22 AM.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Electric or acoustic? I've got a Schecter CSH-12, which is an electric with a strat-shaped oversized hollow body and f-holes. Pretty damn cool neck, really fast with jumbo frets. And most amazingly, it's not neck-heavy at all.

Considering getting a Carvin AC275-12 since they redesigned the 12-string headstock with a straighter string pull. Their AE-185/12 is hideously neck-heavy.
                    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

The AC275-12 was exactly what I was initially thinking. I have an AC175 that's great, with the CarvedTop-style headstock. But I also want to see what else is out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X