No announcement yet.

Your first guitar from a "big" brand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Gibby: "The Paul" model - great tone, it was just too heavy. I have no idea where I got it, who I sold it to, or $.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My first guitar was a Stella Harmony in 1965. The neck warped, so the strings were a 1/4" off the fretboard. Then, with much pestering my Dad bought me a Gretsch Rally in 1967. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it was much better. I loved the metallic copper back and bamboo top - Not!

Then, upon graduation of high school in '74, I bought me a new Les Paul Custom Tobacco burst with money I had saved.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

My first big brand guitar was my Charvel CX391, and it's still my favorite.

Comment

My Jackson Dr-X!

My first electric and my second guitar after my Prudencio Jaez classical
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

My first guitar was one my parents bought me for my 13th birthday. They got it in the paper for $150. It is a 1989 Fender Strat made in Japan. Red body with a maple board. Still have it, but it's hard to think that was more than 10 years ago.

Comment

My first was a Univox.

Does anyone remember being young?

Comment

Red Charvel Model 2 in 1987.
                MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

My first was an Aria RS Classic in pearl white with gold hardware, along with a Gorilla TC35 "Tube Crunch" . Some might not consider an Aria a "big" brand guitar, but I find there necks to be awesome, and still have a pair.

The only problem with the guitar is I wanted heavy metal distortion and didn't know single coils wound to less than 6K (it was a jazz guitar) don't cut it. The original neck is long gone in favor of an unpainted one, bolted up to a body now sporting a single hum, Kahler Killer trem, and Lynch tiger stripe paint job.

It is still one of my favorite guitars, and with the Screamin Demon, I get a great, thick, raw tone. On trick I did was to sink the neck pocket, routing it deeper, and giving it an angle. More wood contact between the neck and body = better tone IMO.

The Gorilla TC35? Guts ripped out, and replaced with a 3watt Marshall 2203 circuit I created. Also sounds awesome fully cranked up.

Comment

Black Model 3A, My Fav for years...

Comment

1965 Gibson Trini Lopez model 335 in cherry split block inlays on an ebony board.Bought it in 1970 for $200.00 sold it in 86 for $700.00.With my luck it probably had real PAFs.Neck was going south on it anyway.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mine first "big" brand was a Desert Sun Yellow Ibanez Jem 777. Loved it so much that I became paranoid about it's condition and had to get rid of it because I would freak out if anyone even looked at it wrong. Besides, it really didn't fit looks wise with the scene we were playing in at the time (Seattle... early 90's... you know the rest). Contrary to popular belief, grunge bands could be very judgemental.

Comment

after a really piece of junk Yamaha RG 420-D6, my mom got me a killer killer Fender Mexi Strat, that was black with orange transparent flames on it, with a matching headstock, the summer before my junior year of high school.

I remember being inspired by Lynch hardcore during that era, and loved playing Lynch-era Wicked Sensation-styled stuff on it...and modding it with different pick-ups and different pickguards during high school.

this thread inspiring me to get it back from relatives out in VA. i need that thing back.

Comment

Originally posted by abitfunky View Post
                            Mine first "big" brand was a Desert Sun Yellow Ibanez Jem 777. Loved it so much that I became paranoid about it's condition and had to get rid of it because I would freak out if anyone even looked at it wrong. Besides, it really didn't fit looks wise with the scene we were playing in at the time (Seattle... early 90's... you know the rest). Contrary to popular belief, grunge bands could be very judgemental.
                            This is an awesome post
                            Last edited by nsubulysses; 06-03-2007, 02:11 AM.

Comment

First guitar was a Squier Strat. Then played my buddy's LP studio, and realized I need a guitar with humbuckers, but a more comfortable shape. Saved 6 months of Stop & Shop wages to get my Dinky Reverse Professional used (think it's a DR5, one of these with the reverse sharkies http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Jack1994-95/pages/Jack1994-95Page11.htm Have played, but haven't bought a brand other than Jackson since.
                              EDIT: Link isn't working, I'm probably just too drunk to figure out why.
                              Last edited by drockilles; 06-03-2007, 03:57 AM.
                              EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Jackson KE-3 in EDS. Still my favourite and main player after all these years, no Gibson, PRS, Ibanez, Dean or anything has been able to displace it.

Comment

Working...
                                X