~ The Kramer 1984 Reissue vs the Charvel EVH Reissue ~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~ The Kramer 1984 Reissue vs the Charvel EVH Reissue ~

Thought this was worth posting. . . .side by side comparo. OMG. . the $$$ difference.
    Click here : http://www.vintagekramer.com/company59.htm

Also found this on the "1984 Kramer guitar" Charvel bullseye clones : http://www.vwallguitars.com/index.ph...d&productId=27
    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

I think the Kramer site is gonna be a tad biased towards Kramer don't ya think.
    -Rick

Comment

He's also comparing a plain painted Kramer vs. the a Charvel with factory graphics. He then says by spraypaint for $15 and paint your own kramer.

What I like about my B/Y Charvel is the professionally done paint/stripes. I think the stock red or white or black '1984' models look pretty plain, and the headstock is fugly unless it is painted up like Eddie did.

A co-worker got a few of the Kramers (plain and bullseyes) shipped to work, so I got to see them briefly, and they seemed pretty nice, but I think the neck shape on the Charvel EVH is better.

Comment

The $$$ difference is largely attributable to 3 things:

1) Parts made in Korea (Kramer) vs. US (Charvel)
        2) Plain jane paint (Kramer) vs. original factory graphic (Charvel)
        3) No EVH involvement (Kramer) vs. EVH licensing fees (Charvel)

I haven't played one, but the Kramer is probably a pretty cool guitar. Very good value for the money. The Charvel is a great playing & sounding but high-bucks instrument with a reasonable shot at "collectability" value over the long haul. It ain't going to make anyone rich, either, though.

Comment

" 1) Parts made in Korea (Kramer) vs. US (Charvel)"

Not anymore as far as I know. Supposedly the '84, '85 Barretta, and the Jersey Star are all made in the USA now, and have been for a year or two...

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
            ...but I think the neck shape on the Charvel EVH is better.
            Which is quite odd, IMO, because the EVH Kramer everyone wants (5150) should be an exact copy of the real thing, and IIRC when they built it for him they laser scanned the neck of Frankie to duplicate it.

The necks should be identical.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post

Not anymore as far as I know. Supposedly the '84, '85 Barretta, and the Jersey Star are all made in the USA now, and have been for a year or two...
              Yes they are and the price on the 1984 is 2 bills more over the previous korea parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Which is quite odd, IMO, because the EVH Kramer everyone wants (5150) should be an exact copy of the real thing, and IIRC when they built it for him they laser scanned the neck of Frankie to duplicate it.

The necks should be identical.
                My comment comes from only having it in my hands for a minute or so, but my co-worker thought the same thing...that the Kramer 1984 neck felt 'chunkier'. We could be wrong, but that was the first comment that both of us said at the same time. He also mentioned later that one of the 3 (or 4, I can't remember how many he has) Kramer 1984s he has had a thinner neck than the others.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                  My comment comes from only having it in my hands for a minute or so, but my co-worker thought the same thing...that the Kramer 1984 neck felt 'chunkier'. We could be wrong, but that was the first comment that both of us said at the same time. He also mentioned later that one of the 3 (or 4, I can't remember how many he has) Kramer 1984s he has had a thinner neck than the others.
                  IIRC, the reissue Kramers were based on measurements made from old Kramers owned by regular folks, and certainly not on EVH's own guitars. Most old Kramers I've played had pretty chunky necks.

In any event, I always thought the 5150 headstock looked stupid and much prefer the 1985 Baretta reissue. Now if they'd just get around to reissuing the Nightswan...

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post

We were talking about the comparison review, and the Korean model was the one reviewed with it's (lower) price. :P

Comment

Working...
                    X