Jumpin On The "fett" Wagon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumpin On The "fett" Wagon!

I recently decided to jump on the fett wagon. I needed a beater to leave out on the stand without worries if the 3 dogs or 3 cats knock it around or if they sneezed zoo boogers all over it. So I got a POS Squier Standard Strat. Brand new, Indonesian, candy apple red, maple fret board, 22 frets 3 single pups. Yeah, it's a lowly turd of a blip on the GAS radar screen but I can't put the damn thing down. This happened to me several years ago when a friend loaned me his... very similar squier strat. He almost didn't get it back.

Naturally I'm going to toss some upgrades on it.... white wall paint scrapes on headstock (check), trem dent on body under back of trem plate (check). Oppps, wrong upgrades.... Well, it's a pos agathis body so who cares?

I would like to swap out the trem assembly but, well, it's a Squier Standard 2 point... can't find a bolt on replacement w/o redrilling. So I am OK w/changing out the trem block and saddles. Damn bastard size misfit. 2 1/16 string spacing... Pivot posts are like 62.5 or 63 mm center to center. Weird.

Definitely going to drop some GFS 70's Greybottom overwound pups in it, a roller nut and some locking tuners. Maybe swap the pots and put some real wires under the hood.

Hey fett, I'm coming to join ya. Bet this won't be my last pos Squier Strat. I really like the fun factor they give for under 2 skins. Well worth the price. In all seriousness, it really isn't bad stock.
    Last edited by T@rgetDrone; 06-04-2007, 08:13 PM.
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Whats wrong with squiers?

If it feels good to you then great. Brand snobbery is childish.

Comment

A candy apple red Squire Strat was my first guitar. I got it for my 14th birthday and i went on to use it for my first public appearance solo.

I agree with vertigo08 - if it feels good then why be mean to it :-)

In the UK - 5 years ago nobody would touch a Skoda.

Now they are every bit as good as VW/Audi but half the price - you should see how many are bought and driven around now - finally it's not uncool to drive a Skoda...

Comment

I love my MIM squier(96) its just as good as any Jap squier(80s)I like it so much I won't buy a USA strat.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Additionally, i pawned my squier in for my Jackson, and although i am glad as i love my Jackson, i regret selling my first guitar.

I keep looking out for an identical one of the same year to re-add to my collection. :-(

Comment

I miss my squier. My model now sells for almost double what I paid for it new. The input jack was even on the top of the pickguard. stupid spot for it.

Comment

I just put an EMG-81 and 2 EMG-S's in my Squier II, and it has never sounded better

I also needed a new bridge, as one of the holes in the trem block was too small, the ball end kept getting stuck and changing strings was a real hassle. So, in true mutt fashion I bought a used bridge with only half of the saddles. Also, the block was slightly longer than the old one, so I couldn't put the trem route cover back on. So now my bridge has two different types of saddles, and my amp makes a cool springy sound whenever the trem springs hit my belt buckle :ROTF:
              "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

I just fell off my own wagon. These Squiers are great. Now, I have 2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6819&rd=1&rd=1
                Last edited by fett; 06-05-2007, 09:05 AM.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I was obviously (only to me i suppose) being facetious about Squiers being POS's. I was poking fun at gear snobs in my own little way.

Like I said, a friend loaned me his back in the day and he had to just about beat me up to get it back. It was a late 80's or early 90's, red, maple fret boards, 3 singles.

Anyway, I love the lil bugger. It just needs a few upgrades to make me even more pleased w/it. Which is the norm for me anyway. $60, $660, or $2600 guitar... I'm going to do pup swaps and certain upgrades or changes anyway. Typically I'll spend $150 on pup replacements (pair of Duncans). At under $200 for the Squier, I feel way more excited about putting a smilar amount of cash or more towards that sort of thing.

Don't get me wrong. I like my Jacksons a lot. But I have had an affinity (no pun intended) for "cheap" guitars for years. I just sort of stuffed it in the closet when I got laid up. Figured buy more guitar upfront, spend less later and less work. NO MORE!!! I am now able to do some of the upgrades again. And I miss turning an undervalued guitar into an ass rippin axe.
                  In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Working...
                  X