I hate/love Gibson Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate/love Gibson Guitars

Let's just wrap this "Gibson Bashing" "Gibson Loving" talk into a nice little thread of its own. Jeff has a Gibby hair up his ass. It's wearing on all of us. We all know it's anal, so let's localize it.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I love my Gibson SG standard and nobody is ever gonna tell me that I shouldn't!

It's MY fucking guitar.

Comment

I've had a number of early to mid-90's LP Studios - each one was awesome. Had an Explorer - loved it, except for the poor balance. Only stinker - 2000 LP Classic. It sounded like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
        I've had a number of early to mid-90's LP Studios - each one was awesome.
        I had a mid-90's LP studio (with ebony board) and loved it, I thought it was the only guitar or type of guitar I would ever need (I added some coil taps for a little versitility), but of course since then I've matured to the point of realizing I need more than one guitar!!!!

I'm sure alot of the replys will be about the poor quality control of made in USA models, and from what I've checked out I agree.

Also, I really don't see the need for those baseball bat thickness necks especially after playing dinkys, but people feel it helps the sound.

Comment

This thread will always be part of us. Some good... some bad.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
            Let's just wrap this "Gibson Bashing" "Gibson Loving" talk into a nice little thread of its own. Jeff has a Gibby hair up his ass. It's wearing on all of us. We all know it's anal, so let's localize it.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
            I don't have a hairy ass...besides how would you know anyway. I say leave the Gibson dedication to the LPF. There's enough ghey mofo's there for a pride parade.

You can't seriously play an electric without finding a LP at the bottom of your strap...same can be said for a Fender or PRS. If you're a product of the late 70's and beyond, you might as well throw C/J in there too.

But when th day is done and all the Guitar World or G1 ads cloud up your judgement, I say, you need real players to give you an opinion.

Anybody can bich about anything and have it looked at by many people. I get as many Fender, Charvel, Jacksons and PRS's as I do Gibsons. The former 4 give me no reason to bich...at least very little.

Fender stuff is looking good to me these days
            As for C/J most of what I've grabbed lately has been really tight and well done.
            PRS....defines perfection (except for the pickups). They should just give up and buy Seymour Duncan out.

Gibson is the only company that is consistantly fuking up and fuking people. Your only as good as your last fuked-up guitar.....no matter how hard they try to spin it. Zakk..my nut....why...why?!

Comment

LPs are too heavy, uncomfortable to play sitting, and too expense for me to GAS for one. Only one I ever played was I think a 72 custom(as see in the beginning of Vise Versa).

Comment

I just sold a LP Studio....loved the look, but was a struggle to play. She had to go. I have an Epi LP that plays soooo much easier. It's a beater, but so far a keeper.

Comment

I haven't had any problems with Gibson's. Their finishes are not as nice as the Pre-70's (orange peel, poor buffing practices), but I know the construction and selection of woods is much better than it used to be. I really like all the models, but favor LP's, SG's and my prized Byrdland. Now, the prices, that's another thing! My Jackson's are pretty much flawless, except for the (3) 2006 Custom Shop and USA Select Jackson's I bought. A little disappointed there.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Demp View Post
                    I just sold a LP Studio....loved the look, but was a struggle to play. She had to go. I have an Epi LP that plays soooo much easier. It's a beater, but so far a keeper.
                    To a certain degree I do agree with you!! I had some earlier Epi LP's (early 90's), and they were GREAT then. Except the pickups, bridge and tuners... Once I replaced all that, they were the best LP's I've had though. The necks were a bit slimmer than the Studios I had - although I'm not saying that the Studios were bad -- just bigger. It wassn't long after I had those that Epi started using alder in the LP's though - you could tell about when they started getting cheap. It was when the logo started being put on at an angle rather than straight across the headstock. If you are buying Epi's (older ones), look for the straight across logos. They're better IMHO.

My favorite LP so far though was my white LP Studio w/ebony board.

Comment

I've owned many Gibsons and I've experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly. However, I've experienced more "good" and I'll continue to play/buy Gibsons as long as they suit my needs.
                      "POOP"

Comment

I've only played them at stores. They're heavy, and you cannot get a clean sound from them. (This includes the LP, SG, and Explorer)
                        Scott

Comment

I've owned:

1) Goldtop Classic LP
                          2) '01 R8 Authentic LP
                          3) '03 R8 LP
                          4) '03 Deluxe LP (still have this one)

I never had a problem with any of them, they were all great guitars. So I don't get all the bitchin'.

Comment

I'm a big Gibson fan, especially the vintage ones. Some of the newer stuff is hit or miss, but most of them can be dialed in pretty good with a little work. I really don't like the company as it currently is, the ownership/management leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                              I've only played them at stores. They're heavy, and you cannot get a clean sound from them. (This includes the LP, SG, and Explorer)
                              Sure you can.
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X