I hate/love Gibson Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
    I've only played them at stores. They're heavy, and you cannot get a clean sound from them. (This includes the LP, SG, and Explorer)
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      I've only played them at stores. They're heavy, and you cannot get a clean sound from them. (This includes the LP, SG, and Explorer)
      Oh no?

Listen to Les Paul. The guy who invented multy tracking and who's signature model is one of the longest running signature models of all time. And no this is not sped up footage, the guy is really playing that fast and he does so CLEAN using a Fender twin reverb.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Or here's Chet Atkins playing his Gibson signature model through a clean amp.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Or what about Jan Akkerman playing through Fender SOLID STATE stacks.

Okay, still believe that you can't play clean on a Gibson?

Comment

Most of the Gibson I've own were from the 50's-70's some of the 70's stuff was so so.(Norlin) They are better now( but way over priced) but as always you have to pick and choose what suits you.The ones I still own are 63 ES355, 63 & 64 Firebirds 1&3,71 LPC ,69 ES1275, early 70's J45 and a 76 RDArtist. There has away been great and not so great guitars produced.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
          I love my Gibson SG standard and nobody is ever gonna tell me that I shouldn't!

It's MY fucking guitar.
          I agree. I bought a 1998 SG Std just 10 days after leaving the Gibson factory, before the little kids at GC could destroy it. It's an awesome guitar.

I also have a '63 Special, a '77 Custom, a '96 Classic Premium Plus, an '02 Std, and an '04 R0. This is the equivilent of 100 Fett guitars :ROTF:

I've only sold two Gibsons. A 1972 Black Beauty in 1989. It was the height of hair metal and I needed jumbo frets. The "Fretless Wonder" just wasn't cutting it. My best friend said it was the best sounding metal axe he had ever played, but I still sold it. I kick myself in the ass for selling it, yet I still can't stand the low frets (played one in GC Hollywood).

The other Gibson I sold was a 1979 SG Std. Great tone, very AC/DC, but I bought a new house and needed cash. I had bought it on ebay for $600 + shipping, and sold it for $1325 + shipping a year later. That was another reason for selling, I knew I could turn a huge profit on it. Other things I didn't like on it: narrow neck (1 9/16 in those years), the "harmonica" bridge, and the large headstock. My 1998 looks better IMO asthetics wise, and is much more of a metal guitar. It totally nails early Sabbath. I AM Tony Iommi when I'm playing War Pigs on that axe plugged into the Marshall. Fuck Yea

Comment

I don't own any and don't intend to. My friend has one. I hate it on all 3 counts: don't like the sound, don't like the looks, and definitely don't like the cost either. Each to their own I suppose.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              I don't own any and don't intend to. My friend has one. I hate it on all 3 counts: don't like the sound, don't like the looks, and definitely don't like the cost either. Each to their own I suppose.
              So what kind of guitar DO you own?

There's a big chance that it's one way or another based on what Gibson pioneered.

1. Jumbo frets? Comes from Gibson.
              2. Flat fingerboard radius? Comes from Gibson
              3. Fingerboard binding? Comes from Gibson
              4. The Flying V shape? Comes from Gibson
              5. (And this is the real kicker) HUMBUCKERS? - Comes from Gibson

So why do you hate something you otherwise love in your non-Gibson guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                So what kind of guitar DO you own?

There's a big chance that it's one way or another based on what Gibson pioneered.

1. Jumbo frets? Comes from Gibson.
                2. Flat fingerboard radius? Comes from Gibson
                3. Fingerboard binding? Comes from Gibson
                4. The Flying V shape? Comes from Gibson
                5. (And this is the real kicker) HUMBUCKERS? - Comes from Gibson

So why do you hate something you otherwise love in your non-Gibson guitar?

Ancient history...what does any of that have to do with the company now? Everything you mentioned happened three owners ago. Name anything NEW that they've introduced this decade that didn't horribly flop? How about anything in the last two decades?

I'll tell you what....NADA! Gibson innovation died in '68 and was burried by '69.

All they have done is taken the guitar profits and bought crap like Wurletzer, Baldwin, and a bunch of quai-dead bankrupt guitar companies. Nothing new.

All the current ownership has done is cheapened the quality and components...year after year. A $3300 LP Custom comes with the same crap pickps that a $1100 studio have...they suck on both guitars! They've pioneered a uly retarded and unuseable digial guitar. Nobody can comment on how crappy it is...because the crapp-ass thing costs $4000.

Here's your great guitar company.
                stupid idea #1
                Crap idea #2
                Dumb-ass Henry
                Retards!

First guitar I bought was a LP Custom from '86...it was a "second" and it costs $775. I'm sure the last guitar I'll own will be a LP, too. Nobody wants to see Gibson stop sucking more than me.

The fact is, Gibson is run by a gay muthafucker who loves money and sucks at building guitars. Just think what would hapen if Paul Reed Smith got his hands on that company...the world would be a different place.

Anybody ever seen a PRS Modern Eagle jukebox?
                Last edited by Jeff Albertson; 06-08-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

my explorer playes ok sounds amazing is finshied badly. love and hate.
                  no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Albertson View Post
                    Ancient history...what does any of that have to do with the company now? Everything you mentioned happened three owners ago. Name anything NEW that they've introduced this decade that didn't horribly flop? How about anything in the last two decades?

I'll tell you what....NADA! Gibson innovation died in '68 and was burried by '69.

All they have done is taken the guitar profits and bought crap like Wurletzer, Baldwin, and a bunch of quai-dead bankrupt guitar companies. Nothing new.

All the current ownership has done is cheapened the quality and components...year after year. A $3300 LP Custom comes with the same crap pickps that a $1100 studio have...they suck on both guitars! They've pioneered a uly retarded and unuseable digial guitar. Nobody can comment on how crappy it is...because the crapp-ass thing costs $4000.

Here's your great guitar company.
                    stupid idea #1
                    Crap idea #2
                    Dumb-ass Henry
                    Retards!

First guitar I bought was a LP Custom from '86...it was a "second" and it costs $775. I'm sure the last guitar I'll own will be a LP, too. Nobody wants to see Gibson stop sucking more than me.

The fact is, Gibson is run by a gay muthafucker who loves money and sucks at building guitars. Just think what would hapen if Paul Reed Smith got his hands on that company...the world would be a different place.

Anybody ever seen a PRS Modern Eagle jukebox?
                    Jeff, I actually agree with what you are saying, but in reality the reason a lot of this new innovative stuff that Gibson (and other companies too) put out and flops is that a lot of guitarists are set in thier ways and resistant to change. Once somebody hits on a great 'benchmark' forumula (LP, Strat, etc) the players embrace it. Not much different than other instruments, really. Antonio Stradivari perfected the violin, and even though the scale has changed over the years, it is still the benchmark even after hundreds of years.

Has anyone really made an innovative solid body guitar in the last 30-40 years that has been truly successful? The only ones I can think of is Ned Steinberger and Ken Parker. Both those had some very original thinking. Neither of those set the world on fire either. Just because it is innovative doesn't mean it is better. Anyone remember Gittler guitars? Bond guitars? Bunker guitars?

I will give Henry and Dave B some credit for turning the company around after the ownership from Ecuador (talk about bean counters...) pretty much ran the company into the ground. I think Henry's main fault is that he is too hung up on trying to be a 'visionary', instead of trying to focus on making great guitars. They have made some investments in CNC and Plek technology, but with low wages and turnaround with employees, well you know what the end result is...
                    Last edited by LexLuthier; 06-09-2007, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X