Re-discovering my Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-discovering my Strat

For the last ten years I played humbucker guitars exclusively, using both of my Les Pauls and my heavily modified Tele as my main stage guitars. I also played Solid State amps exclusively because of their durability and sharp tone.

But lately I have had a revelation and after my Marshall MG100 top died, I decided to get myself something serious. So I bought myself a London City "Bulldog" amp head.

The Bulldog is an all tube copy of a Marshall JCM 900. Made for the dutch market only. And it sounds just brutal.

But what I also found out is that my old 1989 Squier Strat "the veteran" sounds better than I ever remembered it sounding before. Through the Bulldog my strat sounds just as growly as meanacing as my Les Paul, the hum and "spike" betraying it's a single coil pickup but I never thought I'd get my Old strat to sound that good. Finally an amp that doesn't make my strat sound all tinny and liveless.

Right now I'm working this sound into my band, it works miracles when used in conjunction with our second guitarist' Ibanez Universe seven string.

Growly and menacing should never be included in the same sentence as a Squire with single coils. If that Squire sounds just as growly and neacing as your Les Paul I would suggest giving the LP a major tune up.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      Growly and menacing should never be included in the same sentence as a Squire with single coils. If that Squire sounds just as growly and neacing as your Les Paul I would suggest giving the LP a major tune up.

What?
      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Blazer, glad to see you've re-found a love in an old guitar or yours. Always nice when that happens. How your equipment sounds can definitely make or break your progress on an instrument, as well as stifle creativity. Have fun. That's what it's all about, right?
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Are you for real. Pardon my french..
          "when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
          I just made that quote..

Comment

Who are you referring to?
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Racerx2k Who are you referring to? Today 09:03 PM Jason slsh Are you for real. Pardon my french..The original poster "Blazer"
              Sorry for the misunderstanding
              "when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
              I just made that quote..

Comment

I think your new found love of tone is more amp than strat. My 1998 MexiStrat still is OEM, and I don't see it knocking my LP's off of the king of the hill any time soon.

Comment

Yes I am for real, my particullar Squier is from the days that they were made in Japan and their quality was on one par with the US made instruments. Add to that that I replaced the standard vibrato with a PRS vibrato which keeps the thing in tune no matter what I do and I shielded the whole thing, it simply outplays and out sounds all current Squier strats.

Comment

I can vouche for those MIJ Squiers, as I've owned a couple of them. Great guitars. I have one, right now, that I'm working on, as a project guitar. I actually split up the neck and body, and used the neck on another guitar, since my "project" requires a 22 fret neck.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Never underestimate the mighty Fender Strat!!!! Those MIJ Squiers are great guitars!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Metaled1020 View Post
                        Never underestimate the mighty Fender Strat!!!! Those MIJ Squiers are great guitars!!!
                        +1

Comment

Yea boys, those el-cheapo Jap single coils are real monsters. Metal city baby.
                          I am the first to admit that the old Squires are really nice guitars but c'mon..... a PRS trem isn't going to help out those single coils that much.

Growly and menacing is for a Charvel Model 1 with a Super 3 in it... or a LP with a 498 and 500T or anything with EMG's or an Evolution or Tone Zone or JB or Custom Custom...etc....

Comment

John, go feed your fish and let them wallow in their ignorance.
                            "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                            X