1996 MIM Fender Strat Specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 MIM Fender Strat Specs?

Just picked up a very sweet 96 MIM Strat in Black with Maple fretboard. Does anyone have/know the specs for this years models? The things that seem to be different then that of the newer ones (2000 and up) is the contours of the body seem to be more carved like the USA ones and the pickups pole pieces are beveled. I know the pups might have been changed and the trem has been blocked by the looks of it by a pro!!! But the body has me stumped with the USA carved look. Could it be that it`s a MIM neck on a USA body? Anyway it`s a great Strat and i`m very happy to have found it!!! Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!

The body should be made out of poplar.
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Pics would help. I have 3 1996 MIM Strats.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
        Pics would help. I have 3 1996 MIM Strats.
        I`ll try to get some pics up soon. Are the pickups pole pieces beveled on yours? I don`t know if it`s Alder or Poplar but if it`s Poplar,that doesn`t bother me at all because it resonates great! Plus i had a MusicMan with a Poplar body that was also great! The body contours are definitely more PRONOUNCED then the newer MIM Strats which seem to be not as carved and therefore look thicker.

Comment

There is a whole lot of speculation about MIM's being US parts shipped to Mexico for assembly. I don't know, but I like my MIM Strats.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
            There is a whole lot of speculation about MIM's being US parts shipped to Mexico for assembly. I don't know, but I like my MIM Strats.
            Funny you should say that because i just heard that in the 90`s Fender`s USA factory supplied the Mexican factory with bodies and necks because at that time the Mexican factory didn`t have CNC machines!!!

What about the pole pieces fett?

Comment

Here are some pics of my dead stock '96.
              Last edited by fett; 06-26-2007, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the big pics Scroll over and see the headstock:ROTF: What's even more amazing is I knew exactly where the guitar was.
                Last edited by fett; 06-26-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

And give it a couple more years...and WE will be working down there too!:ROTF:

Comment

Yeah the corona plant was making the bodies and necks and sending them to the Ensenada plant. Where the bodies were then finished and fitted with electronics. The pups are made in Mexico and the pots are USA as is the 5 way Grigsby switch. The pups should have the beveled poles. If theyre flat they were changed. Hopefully to somehting good if thats the case. The made for mexico bodys have 2 small what look like jig holes just below the swimming pool rout for the pups. The made for USA ones only have 1 IIRC.
                    The body is poplar and the frest are smaller. The original pups are ceramic and a bit higher output than the USA Delta Sounds of the time. With or without the stock pups a nice guitar. Nice necks.
                    Now the Ensenada plant makes all thier own stuff. Aside from the CTS pots and the Grigsby switch.
                    hope that helps
                    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                      Yeah the corona plant was making the bodies and necks and sending them to the Ensenada plant. Where the bodies were then finished and fitted with electronics. The pups are made in Mexico and the pots are USA as is the 5 way Grigsby switch. The pups should have the beveled poles. If theyre flat they were changed. Hopefully to somehting good if thats the case. The made for mexico bodys have 2 small what look like jig holes just below the swimming pool rout for the pups. The made for USA ones only have 1 IIRC.
                      The body is poplar and the frest are smaller. The original pups are ceramic and a bit higher output than the USA Delta Sounds of the time. With or without the stock pups a nice guitar. Nice necks.
                      Now the Ensenada plant makes all thier own stuff. Aside from the CTS pots and the Grigsby switch.
                      hope that helps
                      Gil
                      Yes that helps...thanks alot bro!! and thanks to fett for the nice pics!!!! The pups pole pieces are beveled,so it seems to be stock. I`m always impressed with the MIM Strats from the 90`s and now i know why....their basically USA ones!!!!:ROTF: Thanks again for the info!

Comment

I think that MIM neck are still made in the US
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

I have a 95 MIM sqiuer strat and it is a perfect strat.Beveled pole pieces on the pickups and judgeing by the pickups baseplates, bobbins and wire I think they were made in the USA.7.9k on the neck and middle and 9.0k on the bridge.The middle pickup is so clean and clear.The neck is maple/maple and is as perfect as a strat neck can get.I replaced the box tuners with a set of aged Kluson vintage tuners and I aged a new narrow spaced vintage trem with the proper saddles(old style)and it looks like a vintage strat and plays like one.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice straycat!!!!

Comment

I`m really digging this Strat more and more each day! I havn`t even played my 04 MIA Strat since i got this 96 MIM!!! The only changes i plan on doing to it is a 4 bolt F logo neck plate and new pickguard,other than that i`m leaving it stock!!! Excellent guitar!!

Comment

Working...
                              X