Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some inspiration please...guitar project!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some inspiration please...guitar project!?

Well after looking for a cheap guitar to keep in the office i just won a 1996 Fender 50th Anniv. Squire Strat on ebay for £40. Sure it's not MIJ/MIK but i knew that when i bid.

The neck is straight (rosewood) but mingingly dirty. Still has the Fender gold 50th Anniv sticker on the back of the headstock which is good. Tuners are a little loose.

Body (black) is sound but with ~15 dints/chips in it...i guess more than average for a second hand guitar. The backplate is missing but i've ordered another Squire one which should fit.

The pickups sound fine (a little rusty) and the electronics are well, original and crackle something rotten - but i tuned it up and played it and it's fine.

Now...as i picked up the phone to arrange a drop in at my local Luthier i wondered to myself - could i not take this opportunity to learn a bit more about guitars and maintaining them and sort this baby out myself - with the intention of perhaps stripping the body and re-finishing to make it a litlte bit more special for me...!?

Im fairly bored this afternoon which is why i have opened up this thread to anyone else who might be bored and wants to offer their 2pence worth - thanks in advance!

Basically it costs about £30 to get it serviced and set up - i would need to get the right tools (lemon oil, allan keys etc) to sort it out myslef - i also wondered about that Fender Strat Haynes manual which covers Squires as well...?

Cleanups are simple - not a lot that can go wrong that you can't undo.

A cheap toothbrush (get a new cheap one, not the old one you're done with - you want to replace finger funk with dried toothpaste?), a can of electrical contact cleaner/lube for the electronics (TV tuner spray, but good luck finding a TV with a tuner that can use it ), some fine steel wool or fine sandpaper for the rust on the pickups, a glass jar and a can of WD-40 to soak the bridge in if it's rusty, and you should at least be busy for a few hours.

Painting and such - meh. I tried it with that Ebay book a couple of years ago but the screwy weather turned me off to it, and I don't have a basement or shop or buddy with a basement or shop or anything else that everyone has recommended.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Excellent - i am sure i can manage that.

In relation to the re-spray - i figured as much...so for my next question:

If i was to raid my wifes makeup bag for some black gloss nail varnish, has anyone experimented (with success) on what substances could be used to fill dints (carefully sanded down) and then the whole area re-touched to create a smooth flush cover-up - (even if you can see a discolouration where you painted over the filler...)

Ta.

Comment

LOL, I used nail varnish to hide the chips on the tips of my Charvel Avenger. That'll be a great guitar to learn shit with. Carplan spray paint is good if you want to do a re-fin and that's about £5 a can. Use auto body filler on the dinks.
        www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Working...
        X