Ibanez Joe Satriani???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Joe Satriani???

I'm thinking of getting a new Ibanez Joe Satriani model. Can anyone here share their experiences with this guitar? How do they compare with Charvels?

Thanks

If you're expecting to get a high gain shred monster, look away. When Satriani was approached by Ibanez to endorse their "Radius" models he got a couple of them. And said that he didn't really like the fast profile of the Wizard neck and the power of the Ibanez V-series pickups. He actually was going in the opposite direction, preferring pickups with a low output and fat Fender-style necks. That's what they gave him, a custom Radius with lower output humbuckers and a neck with a Fender style profile and a non tiltback headstock. Currently, the Satriani model is Ibanez only model in which the Radius' shape survives.

A late eighties Radius model pre-Satriani signature.

The Radius' body shape.
    Last edited by Blazer; 06-30-2007, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I've owned one (a JS-1000) I can't compare them to Charvels though since I never owned one but I'm pretty sure they are really different guitars. I mean if I had a Charvel I'd probably not be able to compare them again.. No need to mention Charvel has lots of really different guitars btw.

About the Js-1000; it's something like a combination of a small sized modern strat and an RG. The neck on these guitars are really really comfortable, if you can live with the medium frets. Has a nice solid feeling to it. To me USA Jacksons feel completely different than other guitars I've played and although JS's are bolt ons my JS-1000's neck was the closest feeling to a USA Jackson which I like a lot. It has a nice, huge acoustic tone with a really solid feeling..

What I didn't like about it was the body shape, the input jack position (makes it hard to play sitting) and the strat like headstock which is angled towards the neck.

Their overall quality is really good and they are worth the money.. And one last thing to mention, you can make metal music with a Charvel easily from what I can see but the JS didn't seem like that. If you're thinking of playing metal music with a JS you'll probably have to EMG it I only play metal music btw.

Good luck and if there's anything I can be of help, let me know
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64
      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

They play pretty great, but I find the pups to be a bit lacking and the frets are too small, but that's personal preference.

There are better Ibanez's out there to play.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I actually have found the larger jumbo/super jumbo fret wire to be a bit too large so the regular jumbo fret wire sounds like it might be better for me. I usually change the pups on my guitars anyway, including the Charvels and Jacksons that I have owned.

Comment

Nextinline,
            Nice BTB. I wish they offered those in the states...

JS's are nice. I've owned a few. The 1000's are great guitars. Just a bit different than the normal Ibanez. Mainly the neck profile. It does feel like a Fender, as someone pointed out above. They have the fretboard radius as well. Very comfy necks though. I tend to like them bigger sometimes. It's a great alternative to those super thin necks...
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

The neck specs are:
              JS Neck Dimensions
              Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
              Width At Nut: 42mm
              Width At Last Fret: 56mm
              Thickness At 1st Fret: 20mm
              Thickness At 12th Fret: 22.3mm
              Radius: 240mm (9.5")

As mentioned above, 9.5" is the fender radius. The trem has shims under the A, D, G, B strings to raise them to match the 9.5" radius.

I have a JS1000 painted by Shadoe Mckee to mimic Joe's "Donnie F" guitar. Nice player if you can get used to the neck radius.

Comment

Originally posted by rattojack View Post
                Thanks for the replies. I actually have found the larger jumbo/super jumbo fret wire to be a bit too large so the regular jumbo fret wire sounds like it might be better for me. I usually change the pups on my guitars anyway, including the Charvels and Jacksons that I have owned.
                In that case, go for it! I was going to say the tall, thin frets (6105s) kill the JS for me (and Jems, SRVs, KV2s,.....) but you like them so give one a try. A cool feature for me is the coil-splitting on the humbuckers.

NextInLine - awesome BTB! I do love that color.
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
                  NextInLine - awesome BTB! I do love that color.
                  Thanks dude I also loved it but it's gone, I kinda miss it

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                  Nextinline,
                  Nice BTB. I wish they offered those in the states...
                  Thanks and I have no idea why they don't, doesn't make sense to me at all
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64
                  www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
                  X