Dimarzio Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Strat

A couple of years ago, I came across a NOS red Dimarzio neck, and decided that I would do a project inspired by the solid red Dimarzio guitars that Earl Slick played back in the 80's.

The inspiration:

Over the last two years, I was able to find period correct Dimarzio tuners, Dimarzio chrome high-mass v-trem, a 1979 double cream X2N, and a NOS Mighty Mite chrome pickup bezel. I searched hard for the right body, but after having no luck I decided to have a repro built instead (one piece mildly figured maple with a translucent red finish to match the neck). Finishing touches include a polished aluminum control cavity cover and string tree by Budman (Thanks Dave!) and a repro neck plate.

The final product:

This thing is a smoking player! The neck (1 11/16 nut) has a nice round C profile...comfortable yet still fast. The trem stays in tune amazingly well, better than any other v-trem style that I own. The pickup is a bit hotter than I normally use, but I kinda like it now that I've been playing for a few days. Even though the X2N is in there to complete the Earl Slick package, I may end up experimenting with a few different pickups.

I remember those ads. Sweet axe.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Nice! Very nice!
      "POOP"

Comment

I love red. Awesome looking guitar!

Comment

Nice one...
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Very cool! And here I've always wondered why nobody ever paints maple necks/fretboards.

Comment

thats sweet. where did u find those tuners? brings back memories of the dimarzio kit guitars from back in the 80's

Comment

bro, that is killer! bada$$ build!

Comment

that rox
                  no sig.....

Comment

Love it, GREAT job!

Comment

It looks like candy. It's sick!

EDIT: Slick*
                      Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                      Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                      Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Now, all you need is a RED permanent marker to color the white X2N red and you are set.
                        Sam

Comment

Why did DiMarzio stop producing guitars anyway? ( I don't know if they produced them themselves, or had another manufacturer produce them)
                          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

A lot of the DiMarzio bodies were made by Charvel MFG.My star body was a Charvel 1979 MFG.I have had several strat bodies that were Charvel made too.There necks were killer too.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                            X