ESP Eclipse Models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP Eclipse Models?

Anyone have experience with these? The "real" ESP ones, I mean. Not the LTDs. I've been thinking about picking one up.

I've tried out a couple of of the LTD versions, which are great bang for your buck IMHO. And I had a brief jam on a buddy's black cherry ESP Eclipse, too, but not enough time to come to any conclusions. But none of the dealers in my area have any of the real ESPs in stock to try out first hand.

Assuming the LTDs are very similar, but better, I think these are really what I'm looking for in a Les Paul / single cut-style guitar. (...Other than my GMP, I mean. But those are more rare than pigs with wings. )

What do you guys think? How do the ESPs play & feel vs. the LTDs? Spec-wise, I dig them. The only question I have on specs is whether the ESP versions have real MOP inlays or plastoid? Not a deal-killer either way, though - just want to know.

Oh yeah, almost forgot a follow-up question.... What about the Edwards versions? Are these more comparable to the ESPs (MIJ) or LTDs (MIK?)?

Comment

I gig my Edwards LP All the time. In my opinion, it falls inbetween the Highest LTD and the Standard Series ESP's. For the Amount of money you spend, Its one of the best Bang for the Buck Guitars available.

[IMG][/IMG]
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

i had a custom shop eclipse made for Michael Wilton, that was the best axe I've owned thus far.

The specs weren't too far from what you can buy now, and from what I've heard the new Standard series stuff are great guitars.

I attest to ESPs stuff, high quality, great parts, great craftsmanship.

IMO, anyways.

i'm not sure about the inlays, to be honest...and i've never owned an LTD, but from what i hear, the quality is definitely up there on the ESPs. that i can say.

Comment

I owned a gold LTD Eclipse with P-90s that was pretty nice. It was an EC300-P from what I remember. It was a very good Korean made guitar. I always hear people say the 400 series and up is better, but I found no problems at all with it.
          I did play a real Eclipse at GC briefly (though, it was the '80s Tele body with Jackson headstock) that was pretty sweet from what I remember.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I did play a real Eclipse at GC briefly (though, it was the '80s Tele body with Jackson headstock) that was pretty sweet from what I remember.
            Having recently bought an early Eclipse I can say that in the short amount of time I've had her, she's grown to be one of my faves. I can't speak for Mirages, but if they are anything like this one, then you're on a winner!
            Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Here's my review of the Eclipse I got a few months ago...

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67271

They are great guitars. As for a comparison to the LTD line, I've only played an H100 and H300, and this one definitely blows them away in terms of quality. I'm sure the difference between this and the 1000 series is much smaller though.

Comment

Some weeks ago I bought an Edwards LP in laquer black finish, same model owned by Dreamland iirc. I never played a real gibby but this guitar is really well made. I think that if you want a LP clone Edwards are the way to go these days.

Comment

Originally posted by iced_earth View Post
                  Here's my review of the Eclipse I got a few months ago...
                  Heh. I even responded in that thread. Thanks for the review and for reminding me.

Comment

A few months ago, I was at my local shop playing a new LP Custom. I played it for a while, and liked it, then put it back up. My buddy that works there then hands me an Eclipse II and I plugged it into the same amp I had played the LPC through. As much as I WANTED to like the LPC better; objectively, the Eclipse played better and sounded better! I couldn't believe it. And for less than half the price. Definitely give one a try!
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

My buddy is bringing his over on Saturday, so I'll get to try one out again. It'll be interesting to crank it through my JSX.

I noticed the vintage black and possibly vintage white versions are matte satin finished? Yuck. Quilt-tops seem to be gloss, though. Does anyone know if the snow white ones are satin or gloss? I'm thinking it's just the "vintage" labelled finishes, but maybe it's all of the solid colors?
                      Last edited by shreddermon; 07-05-2007, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                        My buddy is bringing his over on Saturday, so I'll get to try one out again. It'll be interesting to crank it through my JSX.

I noticed the vintage black and possibly vintage white versions are matte satin finished? Yuck. Quilt-tops seem to be gloss, though. Does anyone know if the snow white ones are satin or gloss? I'm thinking it's just the "vintage" labelled finishes, but maybe it's all of the solid colors?
                        Looking at the ESP website, I would say the snow white is a gloss finish. The vintage black is satin (I'm not too keen on the yellow binding) and my vintage honeyburst is satin... both have aged binding. The vintage white has aged binding and I'm pretty sure that is a satin finish, so that leaves the snow white with triple white binding as a gloss finish (it looks pretty good if you ask me).

Comment

I've seen the EX-II's snow white pics outside of the craptacular stock catalouge photo definately gloss... nice finish and hardware choice is snow white and black....

The STD series ESP's are a step above the LTD deluxe and 600 signatures range...

Comment

Working...
                          X