Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
    Congrats, that is beautiful!

In regards to what stratgod said, why is it so many Gibsons have tuning issues with the 3rd string? I had a LP Classic that, even after a setup, the g string would go out of tune with any bending. I've noticed the same thing on many Gibbys I've tried in stores - LPs (many different models), ESs, Vs, and a Lucille. What gives??
    That is a good question. I remember reading long ago, I think it was an article in Guitar Player with Dan Erlewine. What was said if I can remember right, is the third string on an electric was really meant (designed) to be wound style to stay in tune. It doesn't make sense, I know, since windings can get caught more easily in the nut. It most likely is the larger gauge of the unwound string and it's vibration characteristic. Back in the late 40's and 50's and even into the 60's many factory guitars had a wound third (G) string and in many cases, they came with flatwounds.

Another good question is why Gibby's and other "hardtail" guitars seem to go "sharp" while sitting in their cases. I guess "Sharp Gremlins"

Sorry, to go off topic on your thread. Nice guitar once again!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God View Post
      Sweeet!
      Just watch out for tuner issues - I was plagued with them on mine.
      What tuner issues exactly? I don't have any on mine to speak of.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

those vos guitars are top notch, what a nice setup

Comment

From what ive experienced the G string always goes out. even on my former vintage custom. I tried heavier strings and it was fine. When the kluson tuners were designed they were using heavier gauge string for blues and jazz. then when the lighter gauge strings became more popular the problem arose. Also with the stop tail guitars going out of tune when store flat in there case? Its due to gravity. It pulls the headstock down stretching the strings. When you pick up the guitar and put it in playing position it's out of tune. Dont believe me? try tuning a guitar with a good tuner laying flat on its back. Then place it inplaying position. Or vise versa. It will give you differant note readings. (ie sharper when laying flat on its back) Ive done this and it works.
          Gil

Comment

great great set-up, Doug.

just awesome.

And i agree totally with jwoods, I've had a couple of les pauls do that with their third string.

actually i've had a couple of strats do that as well.

craziness.

Comment

One of the best tops on an LP I've seen! Awesome.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
              X