X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epi LP project

I've got a 2nd hand Epiphone Les Paul Gothic

(I've cleaned it since this pic.)
    It's in real crappy condition and I was thinking about giving it a bit of a spruce up.

I'm want to sand the paint down so that it's just clean wood and then refin it either black with gold hardware

(with gold mounting rings too. And minus the f-holes)

Or white with gold

I know this isn't the ideal forum to ask about this, but I'm a member anyway and you guys seem friendly and knowledgable enough to help.

Firstly, which colour do you prefer?
    And secondly are there any steps that could proove difficult or troublesome that I should get a pro to do (this is my first project)?

Thanks
    Squeeze my lemon

It's gonna be a little tough to turn the rosewood board to maple... Just buy an Epi LP Custom and save your money. For what it would cost to do what you want to do, you'll be money ahead.

Comment

You can buff the flat black to gloss.

Other than that, you could add pinstriping to have faux binding.

I would not attempt changing fretboard or inlays, and changing the HW to gold will be real expensive, unless you find someone with a epi LP that wants to trade black for gold.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Just buff the finish and it will look fine.Those are the thin bodied ones right.I saw one at a pawn shop and thought about picking it up.How to they play?
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

I was going to re-paint because the last owner must have treated it badly. But I am on a budget ATM so I'll probably just buff.

As for how it plays, the neck's too wide for my liking. I can't really tell you how it is tone-wise, because I've only been "playing" about a year, and I'm not too techy yet
          Squeeze my lemon

Comment

well, epis are laminate made, meaning they are a whole bunch of 1/8th inch thick pieces of wood glued together. Think plywood. just about any money put into it is a waste IMO. you could easily sell that one and use the money that you were going to use to upgrade it with, and put it towards another higher quality guitar.
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
              well, epis are laminate made, meaning they are a whole bunch of 1/8th inch thick pieces of wood glued together. Think plywood. just about any money put into it is a waste IMO. you could easily sell that one and use the money that you were going to use to upgrade it with, and put it towards another higher quality guitar.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
                +1

There are some really nice Epi's out there.
                -Rick

Comment

I think you are thinking of the $99 "specials" pictured below. Pretty sure many or all of them are plywood, but the set neck standards and customs are "real wood" crafted in Korea or China depending on when they were made from what I know.

When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

+1 I have a set neck Epi Lp that is made of Mahogany with a maple cap
                    Out Of Ideas

Comment

i talked to an epi rep. when i was going to buy a iommi g-400, he said that all epis are laminate.
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

i talked to an epi rep. when i was going to buy a iommi g-400, he said that all epis are laminate.
                        He's was either pulling your leg or had no clue about the manufacturing process. As is typical with most sales reps.
                        -Rick

Comment

He's probably talking about multiple piece bodies, as opposed to an actual plywood type of laminate, I'm guessing.

Comment

There's no way all of them are ply guitars. NO WAY. I've had more than one so...well...just sayin'

Comment

Well mines quite a dark wood, definetly doesn't look like ply. Looks like about three layers.

It was my first guitar too, so I'd quite like to keep it so that when I'm a world famous superstar I can seel it for a couple of mill for charity
                              Squeeze my lemon

Comment

Working...
                              X