Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling ALL Jackson board members, Come On Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling ALL Jackson board members, Come On Down!

Hey Guys,

Just curious to know what do you think about Kramer guitars in the 1980's? Also, what do you think of them now that Gibson took over?

Other questions like, what do you see when you hear the name Kramer, quality, awesome, crappy guitars, ect? You can say stuff like they suck, or they're ugly guitar shapes, don't matter just your honest opinion. The more responses the better, so come on down guys.

Just your honest opinion guys?

Thanks

Rick

So, how's the marketing life treating ya?

I love Kramers, though the 80's ones have that unmistakenable 'shredmachine' aura about them! Those batches of cheap Barettas was sweet, had to resist hard not to get one of them! Finding one in Belgium is a BITCH, lemme tell ya!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

the USA made ones were good. The Focus series also seems to have a pretty good rep. However, IMO, all the Korean ones were complete crap. I have yet to play a decent Korean Kramer. The USAs though I've played have been great.

Comment

As far as the old Kramers go, I love the Kramer Baretta's take on the Strat shape, with the thinner top horn, etc. I also think the old neck-throughs were cool (Stagemaster, IIRC). I had a couple of Focus 1000s (MIJ version of the Baretta) over the years that were nice guitars, and a Striker 1000 (MIK version) that was actually decent, too. The NightSwan was also very cool, though I could do without the middle pickup and 1-5/8" nut.

Moving to the modern Kramers, I had a 522SP bass, which was very high quality and DIRT cheap. If I had any need for another guitar, I would have no problem buying a new Kramer.

Comment

I bought a girlfriend a Baretta in 1984. Other than that I have no opinion. I didn't want one then and don't want one now.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Very very good honest answer. I want to see more answers, tell your friends to come down and post here, if you wish. Jackson Baby!

Comment

Never had one, and probably never will. Just don't do it for me. If I bought one, it would be for parts (OFR, maybe an old JBJ pickup).

If I was an EVH fan, maybe I'd be more interested. But I'm addicted to shark fins and the ultimate metal guitars.

Comment

I have a 87 Striker 600ST. I must've got lucky 'cause it plays and sounds good( I do have a Screamin' Demon in it though). Also doesn't have the plywood body Striker's are famous for, but it probably is a laminate.The neck is thin but a round profile and doesn't feel as wide as my Charvel model series at the nut. I like the Charvel better. Probably should stay away from the Strikers. I just got lucky on mine. Don't have any experience with the new ones.

Comment

CC... you working for Kramer or what?

Most hardcore Jackson/Charvel guys are not really that high on kramers. Some of us have owned then but not with the same "foaming at the mouth fanatical" vibe like we do charvels and jacksons. I have a nightswan and 40+ Charvels and several jacksons. the nightswan is more a vivian campbell thing that a guitar thing.

I would think nothing of parting our a Kramer. There is nothing Special about them. I feel the same way about ESP. Cool Guitars but are great for replacement parts on my Jacksons and charvels - (tuners, Floyds, pickups ) Most necks and bodies go in the trash. I dont bother re selling them.

Comment

I owned a couple of 80's Kramers. They never really impressed me. I dropped them quickly after discovering Charvel/Jackson. The USA Kramers I played felt cheap and never stayed in tune.
                    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

For me my Kramers are a my babys. I have a ´87 Stagemaster (neck thru) and a strat head ´81 Pacer and I have to tell you that they are the best of both worlds!!!

Next I want a white/black pickguard strat head Jackson (or replacement neck with a Jackson logo). And after that probably a Les Paul, and after that................ damn I feel like a kid again
                      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                      custom made Les Paul
                      VOX Tonelab LE
                      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                      ADA MP1
                      BBE 422A
                      Lexicon MPX-G2
                      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                      Support Your Local 81

Comment

I had a couple of American series Pacer Customs. I loved them boith had the flip flop magenta paint. And of course the real floyd and Duncans. Nice necks from what i remember. I would get one again if i could find one. It sounded great and played great too. And stayed in tune no matter what i did to the trem. (this was my first exposure to the JB too) so that could be part of my affirmation for the JB. I loved that guitar. But i traded it for my Jackson Stealth Pro back in 92. Which i still have.
                        I had a focus 5000 too for a while that also sounded great after i swapped the pups out. Which i sold. And a Pacer Dlx. Which was ok. But IIRC it had a replacement neck on it. So it didint quite do it for me. But i was hoping to get that feeling of the original PAcer CST i had. Also had a few cheaper MIK models. Like a Striker 1000 and a few differnt necks over the years for projects. I currently have a M/M Kramer neck (american series i think. The logo was painted over) on my Frankenstrat which is a real nice neck.
                        Gil

Comment

Well, I feel I need to reply , based on the fact that I own an old USA nightswan. To me, it has a very "high quality" feel to it. Top notch hardware, great neck, nice fretwork, and great, low action. SOunds nice and thick and chunky too....with that solid mahogany body. Nice ebony board. It is the only Kramer I have ever played, and the only one I will most likely ever own, but I never plan on parting with it. I remember wanting one really bad when I was a kid and they were popular. I agree that the really tiny nut and the middle pickup (no neck pickup) take some getting used to, but the quality feels top notch, and this is even when comparing it to my USA Jackson DK1. Do I play it much compared to my Jackson? No....but, it is fun to play on occasion, and I enjoy owning one. Truly a unique feeling guitar, especially due to that thin nut.

Comment

Great answers guys! No, I don't work for Kramer. Just figured we could discuss a little bit about them and let our boys know a little bit about them. The only Kramer I truly like is the 1987 yellow Kramer Paul Dean Signature Model, and that's about it really.

Comment

I have had a few Barettas back in the day 84-85. 1 Night swan, Stagemaster custom 1 (which I'm getting back soon).I have an 87 Baretta II and it is a solid high quality guitar with tons of mojo.I have a parts mutt (USA Baretta body with an import maple/maple neck)and I have to say the neck is awesome.The usual focus series here and there.
                              If a good deal pops up on one I'll buy it.
                              New Kramers eh the don't do it for me.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X