No announcement yet.

RG550 in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats Pete, I love DY 550s (80s child here too). Just got one last month, RG20th, and I love it!
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Nice chops!

I've had 3 550DY's.

For the money - - best goddamn guitar you can buy.

The beater- the better!
      Strat God Music
      http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        I'm not even Jeff Spicoli on a good day!
        You're FARRRRR too humble, Pete...

Comment

Love it , totally 80's and reminds me of the best Ibanez guitar I've ever played - a Jem777dy (not much difference construction wise ? )

Comment

Originally posted by skarhead View Post
            Love it , totally 80's and reminds me of the best Ibanez guitar I've ever played - a Jem777dy (not much difference construction wise ? )
            I have a Jem77FP... main difference between it and the 5 series other than the monkey grip and the carving behind the trem (the 'lions claw' or whatever they call it) is that the neck is a little bit thicker than the wizard from the 5xx guitars. I may start leaving my Jem at home and playing this - it'll have the same visual effect!

Pete

Comment

I think Ibanez RG's look badass, and are definitely a VERY good guitar for the money (the higher end ones surpassing supposedly superior USA made instruments), but I just can't deal with wizard necks. My hands always end up cramping on me.

Again, you can't go wrong with a somewhat rare older Ibanez RG though.

Comment

Originally posted by SARJ View Post
                Man! I havn't seen one of those since the Jane's Addiction vid for Stop!
                good call. Jane's is one of my favorite bands.
                I think Dave had an Ibby endorsement in those days, he had several unusual Ibby axes, including a gold top Tele model.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I think..........and correct me if I'm wrong, Dave had just cleaned up (quit heroin) and lost most of his gear to pawn shops, etc. for drugs. He had to get some guitars and amps for the Ritual de la Habitual album and ended up going Ibanez because they were THE bang for the buck back then as well. Then Fender, then Gibson, PRS, so on and so on.

Comment

I've been eye balling the new 20th anniversary RG550's.
                    I wonder how well made and their playability are?
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I recently picked up a '99 RG520 and I can't wait to get it re done by my local guitar guru. It's got a fair bit of fret wear, and I haven't decided what pups to put in it, but other than that it's sound, and I got it for a pretty good price at GC. Tough to beat the older Ibanez stuff. The newer Prestige guitars aren't nearly as nice.

Comment

Better than the guitar, I like the playing... As usual, you rock, Pete! Congrats on a nice score!!
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by SARJ View Post
                          I think..........and correct me if I'm wrong, Dave had just cleaned up (quit heroin) and lost most of his gear to pawn shops, etc. for drugs. He had to get some guitars and amps for the Ritual de la Habitual album and ended up going Ibanez because they were THE bang for the buck back then as well. Then Fender, then Gibson, PRS, so on and so on.
                          well, I know for a fact that Dave was very much on H during the entire RDH recording sessions, they went for about 3 months but he has said that to him so wasted all the time, he remembers it like it took only 5 minutes.

so I don't think he was clean then, he got clean I think on the subsequent 1990 - 1991 RDH tour (Jane's last tour).

but yeah he could have had to buy the Ibanez guitars (he was always short of cash due to the drugs expenditures during those days), but I kinda doubt it. remember they already had a huge first album by then, so they were in demand by the industry there for about 2 yrs. I think they gave them to him to play.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Pete, awesome playing and an awesome guitar. My brother had one of those growing up. If it wasn't for that damn thin Wizard neck, I would have bought it off him.

Anyway, care to share your favorite Flextone III settings? Can't always play through my 5150 and I've only come up with a couple of tones I like with my Flextone III. Hopefully, it's not me that sounds like ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X