Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok...so what do you do with an 8 string Ibanez ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok...so what do you do with an 8 string Ibanez ??

Im thinking legatto tapping...and descending runs forever? If you can
    train your hand to be over the fretboard, with your thumb on the
    bottom? Ouch. Lucy! Splain this toooo me!:ROTF:

i'm not gonna lie...even though it seems uber impractical...part of me really wants to check one out!

Comment

It seems like it would be cool to mess around on, like my 6 string bass, but I have all I can handle with 6 string guitars I play my 7 string guitar occasionally, but just for grins
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Silly, you pretend you're in the band Meshuggah or Dino Cazares (ex-Fear Factory) and play crushing 8-string low end that just pummels you!!!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Fire the Bass player and keep his share of the gig money :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
            Fire the Bass player and keep his share of the gig money :ROTF:
            I was reading that's what Meshuggah said when they went from 7-string to 8-string... they had so much low end that they didn't really need the bass player. Though, I think they still kept him around for some strange reason.

Comment

I think I remember reading that Meshuggah had Ibanez make some 8 strings for them. So they made them thinking that it was more of a novelty than anything. But then Munky wanted one, so that's when they decided to put them into production. Those guys have some serious pull with Ibanez....

When I was at the LA Custom Shop last year we got to see the one they made for Munky when it was still in it's infant stage. The dude giving us the tour kinda rolled his eyes when we balked at an 8 string. I can't see them being around for too long...

But seriously, how much lower can you go below A? I mean, is it even audible? Or does it just shake your bowels?
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I think it's like a low F# or G, and it pretty much shakes your bowels! I know Dino has at least one by Ibanez, and the Meshuggah guys had a proto done by Ibanez, but they eventually went with Nevborn instead.

I've never seen Munky with an 8, but I know he and Head did have at least one 14-string, the K-14, to compliment their K-7s.

Comment

When I toured on the Family Values tour last year I saw Munkys 8. He would mess with it a bit before the shows but I don't think he ever played it live in any of the shows I was at. But it was redish black with kind of a leather texture to it. I found a pic online. Here it is...

Comment

that neck's so Massive looking, Dayum!

and yeah, Head has a double neck Ibanez electric, one neck a 7 string, one neck a 14-er.

Comment

I'm glad they don't come in any colors that look good or else I would feel obligated to buy one just to try it

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                        I'm glad they don't come in any colors that look good or else I would feel obligated to buy one just to try it
                        Doesn't Ibanez suck that way? They use the Henry Ford rule, "You can have any color you like, as long as it's black"...

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                          When I toured on the Family Values tour last year I saw Munkys 8. He would mess with it a bit before the shows but I don't think he ever played it live in any of the shows I was at. But it was redish black with kind of a leather texture to it. I found a pic online. Here it is...

That's pretty neat. I don't think my hands could fit around that neck, though!

Comment

I'd actually be interested in checking it out IF it has a Low B AND a High A. THAT would rock! Hmm... I wonder if it could be setup for that
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Is it definitely a lower pitched string? The one or two 8 stringed guitars I've seen before used the 8th as a higher pitched string.

Comment

Working...
                              X