No announcement yet.

Bought an Ibanez RG550 for $70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine stripped an early RG550 body. Paint stripper just took the gloss off of the finish. He ended up having to pretty much chisel the paint off, it was about 1/8" thick! One thing to bear in mind is that the wood underneath was very soft, almost like balsa, so it needs a tough covering to protect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
      A friend of mine stripped an early RG550 body. Paint stripper just took the gloss off of the finish. He ended up having to pretty much chisel the paint off, it was about 1/8" thick! One thing to bear in mind is that the wood underneath was very soft, almost like balsa, so it needs a tough covering to protect it.
      Yeah, that's why I'm painting over the original finish instead of stripping it. That way the original finish will give me a hard flat surface to paint on...plus i won't have to bother with primer and sealing the wood n' crap.

***I just made a trem cover for the back of the Ibanez...out of plexiglass. So it's clear, and you can see into the guitar. Pretty nifty!

Comment

Working...
      X