Mid-90's Fender MIM Strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-90's Fender MIM Strats

Anyone have any opinions on these? Personal experiences.... good & bad? How they compare to today's MIM Strats? Don't hold back - gimme all the info ya got.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

oooOOOooo
    Last edited by j4vice; 08-07-2009, 03:29 AM.
    JvicE

Comment

I think the 90`s MIM Strats are far superior than todays!!! I have a 96 MIM that`s just as good if not better then some MIA Strats that i`ve had. In fact,in the 90`s the bodies and necks of the MIM`s were made in Fender`s Corona California factory and sent to the Ensenada Mexico factory for finishing and assembly because at that time the Mexico factory didn`t have any CNC machines! IMO it`s easy to see the differences in quality of the 90`s MIM`s and todays.....the necks were much nicer and the bodies have the same deep contours like the usa Strats do. The MIM Strats of today do have the med.jumbo frets vs. the smaller vintage sized frets. Also the trem block is bigger on the ones today but i`ll take a 90`s MIM instead everytime!!!!
      Last edited by Metaled1020; 08-11-2007, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I have a '92-'93 MIM strat that, for some reason, sounds fantastic. I haven't played a new one that sounds anywhere near as good.

Of course it still has all the drawbacks of a standard strat: the trem ain't no Floyd Rose; I don't like the convex dip that you get over the first three to five frets; it's hardly elegant when you sit it beside a soloist. If only didn't sound so damn good, I could dislike it like I want to!

Comment

Originally posted by Metaled1020 View Post
          I think the 90`s MIM Strats are far superior than todays!!! I have a 96 MIM that`s just as good if not better then some MIA Strats that i`ve had. In fact,in the 90`s the bodies and necks of the MIM`s were made in Fender`s Corona California factory and sent to the Ensenada Mexico factory for finishing and assembly because at that time the Mexico factory didn`t have any CNC machines! IMO it`s easy to see the differences in quality of the 90`s MIM`s and todays.....the necks were much nicer and the bodies have the same deep contours like the usa Strats do. The MIM Strats of today do have the med.jumbo frets vs. the smaller vintage sized frets. Also the trem block is bigger on the ones today but i`ll take a 90`s MIM instead everytime!!!!

Wow, I didn't know that. I have a 96 MIM Strat and I always thought it was nicer than some of today's Strats I'd try at the store (even the MIA's). Now I know why. I'm glad I still have it. I did modify it though. I'm still in my shredding phase so I wasn't too keen on a regular Strat. So I made the changes I needed to it. An EMG 81 with a single volume control, wired at 18 volts. And the best part is with a Strat, it's 100% returnable to stock. I made sure to store the stock white one (still loaded with the electronics) off this guitar so I can return it any time I want. Although I'm keeping it this way for now.

Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

The tuners and the tremolo are what I call cheezy. The tuners worked .
            Last edited by j4vice; 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM.
            JvicE

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
              Wow, I didn't know that. I have a 96 MIM Strat and I always thought it was nicer than some of today's Strats I'd try at the store (even the MIA's). Now I know why. I'm glad I still have it. I did modify it though. I'm still in my shredding phase so I wasn't too keen on a regular Strat. So I made the changes I needed to it. An EMG 81 with a single volume control, wired at 18 volts. And the best part is with a Strat, it's 100% returnable to stock. I made sure to store the stock white one (still loaded with the electronics) off this guitar so I can return it any time I want. Although I'm keeping it this way for now.

SWEET!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by j4vice View Post
                the 1994 I had!!! sounded great and played great. The neck was beefy and with only 21 frets it was a 'player'.
                The tuners and the tremolo are what I call cheezy. The tuners worked perfectly and the cheezy whammy worked well down only.

There are some MIM Strats today that are very HIGH PRICED and those are the ones that may "be better", or "not"??
                Like the Classic Players? I know,i had them! Very nice guitars and although they come stock with better hardware,electronics,ect...i`d still take my 96 instead!!

Comment

Working...
                X