Picked Up A '57 Custom VOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked Up A '57 Custom VOS

Yet another kick ass Gibson, I still don't understand all the bad stories about them...

Yes it's on the heavy side, but the attention to detail, the slight wear on the hardware and finish, and the great tone in all 3 positions and I couldn't leave it hangin' on the wall at GC. Always wanted a custom since I was a kid, 31 years later I finally snagged one.

That is cool... i owned the same thing in an Ibanez clone in 75'... imo
    everyone at some point needs a black beauty! Great score...thats ONE
    thing good about getting old! (we finally have some cash!

Comment

I love mine. Although I don't have the VOS. There's something about these all mahogany's that just sing.

Comment

It's not a bad thing to have a higher weight with a LP. I like my LPC's to be on the heavy side. To me, the heavier one's sustain more.

Congrats on a fine grab! And after all this time too!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Do you have a Stryper poster on your wall ??....

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
            And what's wrong with that?

Forgot to mention that these VOS's are plekked, and the setup (after I got done with it) is amazing. Best action and fret dressing on any LP i've ever had.

Comment

I can get them for you guys cheap from my buddy at G.C., more in the '58 and '59 reissue standards area though as opposed to Customs. Nice lookin' axe though I must say it can't sound bad, it can't be possible.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Nice man, I played customs for years til my neck got screwed up. I had 5 customs at one time, great guitars!
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post

Love it
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                    Nice man, I played customs for years til my neck got screwed up. I had 5 customs at one time, great guitars!
                    We need to get your neck fixed (Chiropractor?), so you can play those cool guitars again!

Comment

What is the model of the blue fender strat? is it a relic or original 59-62?

Comment

I'm sure it's a great guitar and all... but why did you choose the VOS ? You actually paid more for a guy "distressing" your perfectly new hardware and finish.

If I was going to get a Custom I'd get the regular Les Paul Custom with it's regular brand new hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by Erez View Post
                          What is the model of the blue fender strat? is it a relic or original 59-62?
                          That looks like a '60 relic reissue to me in daphne blue. I know because I have one.

As for the VOS part, the plus side is you get the plekked frets. And it's actually cheaper than the non-VOS custom. So you don't actually pay more for the VOS, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the non-VOS gets more attention in terms of build. Also, the VOS has the green tuners instead of the gold, which I would have preferred on my non-VOS.

Comment

Yep, that's a 60 relic, the other one is a 69 relic (with the added floyd option), a B/Y EVH, and a Jackson strathead built for Jake when he was in Badlands.

As far as paying someone to "distress" the hardware, I am on the pro-relic side of the relic argument. I like the look and feel of a used guitar, and really feel that Fender (particuliarily) and Gibson are really nailing it with these guitars.

Comment

Nice collection. I especially love the Strat with the Floyd, and Jake's old guitar!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X