Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marchione unibody

Check it out:

All Marchione guitars are handmade and carefully crafted in Texas, USA. Stephen Marchione started building instruments since 1990.

All Marchione guitars are handmade and carefully crafted in Texas, USA. Stephen Marchione started building instruments since 1990.

Could it possibly be the ultimate solidbody, tone wise?

One single piece of mahogany for neck and body, no neck joint, no glue, no screws, no tone-sucking neck shims (the worst thing you can do to your tone, aside from a pair of EMG's :-) ), no scarf joint...

What do you think?

ummm could be interesting
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I've wondered this myself for a while...I actually work with ultrasonics, so I've always got the idea in the back of my mind of coming in to work on the weekend and trying to throw some science at the neck/body join.

Comment

How would you handle a warping issue?
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

The guitar still has a truss rod to address neck warp.

Comment

I wonder what it would cost. You're talking a large slab of wood here................

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
              The guitar still has a truss rod to address neck warp.
              I was thinking more of body warp.
              I had heard issues with 1 piece Hamer Standards that the body may warp.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                One single piece of mahogany for neck and body, no neck joint, no glue, no screws, no tone-sucking neck shims (the worst thing you can do to your tone, aside from a pair of EMG's :-) ), no scarf joint...

What do you think?
                Comments about EMGs and neck shims aside, didn't Anfield carve a guitar out of Bubinga once? As for this guitar, I think it looks interesting, but how do you adjust pickup height? Plus it probably costs an arm and a leg, and you know since its one piece there are going to be imperections in the wood on it somewhere.
                EDIT: There isn't anything on that page it about it being unibody btw.
                Last edited by CharvelRocker; 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I shudder to think of the possible instabilities in that neck that might develop over time.

Comment

I dont know about this one but his carved tops look real nice.

Comment

Ultimate guitar? Mahogany/mahogany? How about the Hamer Phantom A5.
                      I like mine. Not a unibody, but a glued in neck. I wish it had a carved top....
                      Also wish it never had a broken headstock. Plays and sounds good enough to be my main player for now.

Comment

might be a wonderful sustainer...but i'll bet it didnt cost $800 and
                        the only drawback on this Carvin is the set neck? Otherwise this
                        is a total Walnut guitar...and really HEAVY! Sustain if great though...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Well, the Marchione is indeed carved from one single piece of mahogany, less than 7lbs., and it costs $ 6,800 according to the only dealer I've found, Richard Glick at FGC...
                          I guess you pay for the wood quality and the tricky carving here.

I understand that these are only hardtails, as having a tremolo would defeat the purpose of a 1-piece guitar, and it appears to be voiced more like a jazz/fusion guitar than a shred machine, but it'd be interesting to try one.

Comment

On a tangentially related note...here is another cool one (spotted on The Gear Page) with the neck and body made from a single piece of bubinga, plus a maple top. Builder is "Wolfgang Jansen."

Comment

mmmmmmmmmm
                              Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                              Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                              X