Has Anyone Played One of These?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Played One of These?

Gibson Les Paul DC Pro. They seem pretty cool and reasonably priced. I need to try one out. Anybody have one or played one? The new one's have the Burstbucker pickups.

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Ive played them, i like them...try out a hamer studio too for that style of guitar, really nice guitars

Comment

Great guitar. I really like it compared to tradition les pauls. It's lighter, better upper register access, simplified controls, 60's slim tapper neck, flame maple cap, bindings, and you can find a used one in mint condition for less than a G.

I bought mine when they first came out in 98. Gibson released these
      back in the day to compete with PRS. Some even labeled it the "PRS killer" or the "budget PRS".

I've heard they discounted the first run, because it was cutting into they're own les paul sales. They jacked up the prices on the newer versions, and watered it down ...... smaller inlays, lack of binding, .......etc.

With the prices and (lack of quality) control over at Gibson these days, I think its a steal if you can find the occasional one that pops up on evil bay.

Comment

I've played a few. Never owned one. First off, they are light because they are chambered. They look decent but I was expecting more of a Les Paul sound and the few I have messed with sounded pretty thin. That might be due to the chambering. But I don't think they sound like Les Pauls at all...

But they do have great upper fret access. Aome of the older ones had 24 frets. Very nice looking. And can be had pretty cheap, for Gibsons that is...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I found it thin sounding at first too, but experimented a lot with different pups. Finally settled with a custom custom in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck.

Heres some pics of mine .....

Comment

I'm a traditional LP/SG kind of guy....so no, I haven't.

Comment

Funny how opinions vary on things. I played one a while back at GC.
              Totally hated the thing. I wanted to like it but just didn't. I thought
              it sounded very anemic and thin. Also the frets were horrible. Maybe
              it was a case of just one bad guitar,but I was very unimpressed.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I'm a traditional LP/SG kind of guy....so no, I haven't.
                I am too. But, I'd like to give one of these a shot. I first thought of Don Barnes in .38 Special using his old vintage DC Standard with a humbucker, then I was going to get one of those and remove the single coil and pop on a humbucker. Then, I thought I would be ruining a guitar not originally equiped for a traditional humbucker. I've seen Don Barnes out on the road with .38 Special using a DC Pro as well this year.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk333 View Post
                  I found it thin sounding at first too, but experimented a lot with different pups. Finally settled with a custom custom in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck.

Heres some pics of mine .....

Wow, that is nice and Gold hardware to boot!

Comment

I had same color DC before...I like 24f,and it's more lighter than LP.sounds good,but if u want to get the tradition LP's tone,u won't like it.
                    State of Emergency
                    http://www.myspace.com/stateofemergencysoe
                    Personal Myspace
                    http://www.myspace.com/hansoe

Comment

They are not bad. My friend bought one new for about $1500 or so about 3 years ago. Nice black cherry flame. Pretty good sound too. I was jammin' to some Frank Marino the other night on it in fact.
                      I much prefer these to a Les Paul.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I have always been curious why they are so much less than a regular LP. If the specs are the same why such a big price difference?
                        Just one more guitar!

Comment

WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE

a gibson with 24 frets?????? well, this is definatelly a first.
                          why the hell dont they release a V or explorer with 24 frets?
                          You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                            WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE

a gibson with 24 frets?????? well, this is definatelly a first.
                            why the hell dont they release a V or explorer with 24 frets?
                            Yep, it was the DC Standard. I believe '98 was the first year. The DC Pro is back to 22. I had heard the neck joint is stronger on the 22 and the pickup is back in the "sweet spot". Maybe something required on a 24-3/4 scale guitar. Also, the pickups went from the 490's to the Burstbuckers on the new ones.

Comment

they did the V90, & i forget what the explorer was called but it also had 24 frets. After my SG-Z i dont think ide buy another gibson, unless it was a CS & had a pleked neck. & i couldnt own one because of the 60's slim taper neck, its too small for me. makes my hand & forearm ache & burn after about 20 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X