How much of a guitar snob are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a guitar snob are you?

Let's be honest here. All of us love to get our sound coming from Instruments with a pedigree. But are you guys actually ashamed about some of the instruments you own?

Do you find it hard for example to tell somebody that you get your sound because of a cheap pedal or a solid state amp?

In my own case no I am not ashamed of any of my instruments, yes I do own three Squier guitars, yes I do own an ESP LTD Horizon from their cheap line and I'm playing a lot on frankenstein instruments that I made myself. They work for me, so why should I be ashamed of them?

When I visit a guitar shop, my focus goes to the cheaper models because I know that even among them there might be one with a destinctive voice that I can employ. Even if the instrument in question has a plywood body that could still mean that the sum of its parts might harbor an interresting tone.

I used to be a guy who modified his guitars a lot but recently that has subsided and I try to coax tones I like from stock guitars making it a challenge to play them.

My backline is equally simple, I use a Boss Me30 processor because it gives my tones I can't get from a more modern unit. And my amp is a London City Bulldog head through a cheap Chinese made Marshall MG series 4x12 cabinet. The Bulldog basically is a copy of a Mesa Boogy Rectifyer head all tube and it rocks.

To others I may appear to be playing crappy guitars through a cheap tube amp but the fact is that I get the tone I want from that set up. Sure I'd love to own first rate stuff but the fact is that I can get what I want from what I own and why should I be ashamed of that?

I was kind of that way until I picked up an '81 Greco LP Custom, the thing kicks ass.

Comment

i am.....for the most part i only play USA bcrich & C/J. the last import i bought was a mod 6 in 88'. as a kid i bought ESPs (back when they were under $500)because i couldnt afford the jacksons, hamers & BCRs. NOW i can..... plu
      tho for amps.....ive got a POS marshall lead 30 & a GNX 2. i dont gig so i cant really justify a nice amp. tho i have a mod'd randall tube amp thats been sitting in my parents basement untouched for 10 yrs now.

Comment

I can't afford to be a snob. I play a Chinese SX SEG guitar ($129) through a Peavey ValveKing ($350), though I will have another more expensive guitar coming soon.

Comment

I actually prefer cheaper guitars believe it or not. I get by pretty "budgeted" on my amp too - right now it's a Floor POD Plus >>> SS poweramp >>> Mesa 4x12 cab. Soon to be replaced by the SpiderValve head!

Comment

i am a bit of both. i have a lot of higher end guitars (+1000.00) but i LOVE my agile 3000M, my mexi-strat and mexi-tele. those guitars feel and play awesomely. my 359.00 start has saved MANY gigs when my PC-1's have been tempermental due to heat and other "atmospheric" conditions. my agile has one of the biggest sounds i have ever heard and is sooooo incredibly "creamy" for leads.

as far as amps, i lucked out years agao and found what i like. i really don't experiment with amps and cabs anymore because i found my "voice" way back in 1990 with rivera amps and EVM speakers.

all in all, if it works for you, who cares? i have seen PLENTY of awesome players with great sounds coming from stuff that "appears" to be less desirable.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The best sounding guitar I own besides my PC1 is an Austin LP copy.
              Cheap ass Chinese electronics were replaced and real SD JB/Jazz combo installed and it kills. Got the guitar for $150, added another $150 in parts and it is a monster.
              I also dig it because although it's an LP copy, it's a 25.5" scale guitar.
              It has sustain for days and the tone is better than any Gibson LP Studio I have played.

In short, I'll play anything if it sounds good and feels right.
              The name on the headstock really doesn't matter.
              -Rick

Comment

No, I'm not a snob at all. I used ot own a bunch of the model series guitars as if you threw an OFR, electronics and pickups they rival the USA charvels.

Most of my guitars are self made mutts from USA made parts...Jackson, Fender, Musikraft, USAGC etc etc. I own a USA Jackson and 2 GMW's. I have 2 import BCR's form Korea that totally kick ass...no I'm not embarrassed to play them. I replaced pickups on one and the pickups, pots, toggle and output jacks and they stand up very well against anything USA made I've own, have owned or played (Fenders, San Dimas Charvel, JCF-01, Jackson Polka-Dot etc)

I concern my self with with the overall look of a guitar, the fit, finish, tone, wood, and playability...not the name on theheadstock or where it was made at.

I may be more of an amp snob as I never understood people having thousands upon thousands of dollars in guitars but spend jack shit on an amp I guess if it gets your tone it's all good. I lean to amps built in the UK and USA. I play my $550 Mesa/Boogie DC-5 combo as much as I play my more expensive amps (Bogner-VHT-Splawn-JCM800/2203).
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Recent gig, I used everything from a PRS quilt 10 top semi-hollow to a VH I parts guitar I built from donor guitars for $130 including the cost of the paint.

It's a poor carpenter that blames his tools...

Pete

Comment

No snobbery here. I love my USA made axes but I really like my old Samick too. I bought this from a guy for $225. Added new Epiphone tailpiece and bridge, new tuners and pickups. Budman made the brass pickup rings. Here are pics in Fett's "polished turds" thread. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75948
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

And, I will not even respond here.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Scott.. I've been looking for one of those older Samick LP's for ages.
                        Samick made them up until 94 or 95. They were damn good LP copies.
                        Fit and finish were a bit off, but way better than any production Epi today.

Then Gibson got pissed and threatened to pull the Epiphone production contract from Samick if they didn't stop.
                        -Rick

Comment

yeah I am picky on what I use I only have 2 guitars which are:
                          ESP MX-II
                          Gibson Les Paul Standard
                          and I only play tube amps, mainly Mesa, but I do like Randall and Krank amps. I'm not a big Marshall fan, there is nothing a Marshall can do that a Mesa can't do better, in my opinion.

Comment

When playing through my Ibanez crapshack practice amp, I always feel compelled to tell people I have a bitching Mesa Boogie rack at home.

The looks I get when I get my Jackson CS out of the case and plug it into that Ibanez are hilarious.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I like my Marshall SS amp (it fits my needs just fine - my pedals do the work) and I like my heavily-modded Epi LPC. If anyone were to make fun of it, I'd smack 'em in da nuts with it anyway.
                              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                              X