No announcement yet.

How much of a guitar snob are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wasn't asnob, untill i spent 1500 on 2 guitars which i just can't put down, they just feel so much nicer...nicer necks, great tone, amazing playabilit, and great action, which i don't think u get on cheaper models in general

Comment

If it sounds and feels right I don't care if it says cheez noodle on the headstock or rattle trap on the amp plate. I own some "respectable" equipment..... Jackson, Fender, Hamer, Ibanez, soon a Dean. I have a decent Mesa Boogie rack setup w/2 2x12 cabs. No, it sure isn't the highest dollar stuff, but decent. It all works well for me and I like the tones from each. But I have zero problems grabbing a $140.00 SX and plugging into a SS amp in front of people (small crowd or not). I'm a sucker for good looking stuff but it takes a back seat to functionality. It's all about how it feels in your hands and how it sounds to your ears. Everything else is secondary.
      In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I don't really care what I'm playing or playing thru as long as it works.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Scott.. I've been looking for one of those older Samick LP's for ages.
          Samick made them up until 94 or 95. They were damn good LP copies.
          Fit and finish were a bit off, but way better than any production Epi today.

Then Gibson got pissed and threatened to pull the Epiphone production contract from Samick if they didn't stop.
          RJ, I got it off ebay several years ago. You are right about fit and finish, especially the inlays, but it really has a nice slim neck for a LP. The pickups were garbage too. I have not seen another like it, but if I did, I'd probably grab it.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
            And, I will not even respond here.
            Oh go ahead. The power of Christ compells you. :ROTF:
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thats kind of a tough question. I tend to see people playing Gibsons and Fenders and immediately lable them as sheep. I see people using Ibanez, and I automatically expect them to be nu-metally. But the door's always open for them to change my opinion!

As for me, there are a lot of guitars and amps out there that I'd be willing to try and even own. I'm pretty non-negotiable on tubes, but that's about it.

Comment

I'll play just about anything. I usually prefer the USA or Japanese stuff, but I've owned a Korean LTD EC-300P which was a pretty cool 24-fret LP type thing with P90 pickups, and I own an Indonesian Kramer Imperial (Explorer) that is also pretty neat.

I just picked up a Korean Brian Moore i9f in trans black that I really dig (thanks to Robert Burns). It's supposed to be the top-of-the-line bolt-on import model, and it's got real Duncan pickups... a JB in the bridge, an Alnico II Pro single coil in the middle and Alnico II Pro neck humbucker. It sounds great, and I actually don't hate the JB in this guitar like I usually do in just about everything else. The licensed Floyd is on par with the JT-580LP, but I might swap that out eventually for a Schaller or Floyd II.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I'll play just about anything. I usually prefer the USA or Japanese stuff, but I've owned a Korean LTD EC-300P which was a pretty cool 24-fret LP type thing with P90 pickups, and I own an Indonesian Kramer Imperial (Explorer) that is also pretty neat.

I just picked up a Korean Brian Moore i9f in trans black that I really dig (thanks to Robert Burns). It's supposed to be the top-of-the-line bolt-on import model, and it's got real Duncan pickups... a JB in the bridge, an Alnico II Pro single coil in the middle and Alnico II Pro neck humbucker. It sounds great, and I actually don't hate the JB in this guitar like I usually do in just about everything else. The licensed Floyd is on par with the JT-580LP, but I might swap that out eventually for a Schaller or Floyd II.

If only i had sold you a "Black" one! (for the eyesight
                  impared) ...here is "Toejams" ... Black Brian Moore! :ROTF:

Last edited by Robert Burns; 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I have to admit i am a snob..(at least lately) This doesnt mean i only
                    like +$1500 guitars...because actually my best player that im most comfortable with, is my Ibenhad USA custom 94' model that i paid $400
                    for. 2nd would be my $1200 Swirl 20051. But..i must be honest, that
                    when im at a GC or SamAsh...i do smirk knowing i have upper end equipment. Makes me feel good, that i can finally afford my dream axes.
                    (im 53, so it took longer than expected!) LOL But yeah.. im a snob..
                    takes someone like Hippietim, or Trace to put me in my place!!
                    I appreciate a great player that doesnt cost much..(example ANY
                    Schecter!) But overall im of the opinion that usually, you have to fork
                    out over a "G' to get top quality. Most of the time this is true imo.
                    When i used to own only a Kramer Focus 3000 and a Crate combo
                    60 watt amp, i knew that i didnt have great equipment. Now i know that
                    i do...so in this i must be a bit snobbish? Let them eat cake !!

Last edited by Robert Burns; 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                      If only i had sold you a "Black" one! (for the eyesight
                      impared) ...here is "Toejams" ... Black Brian Moore! :ROTF:

Your photo makes it look more like trans chocolate than the black/charcoal it really is, though.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Your photo makes it look more like trans chocolate than the black/charcoal it really is, though.
                        I am glad you like it !! So you changed one PUP? I thought it
                        had good tone overall... and imo it didnt really need anything?

Comment

Yup - I'm a total gear snob.

Ya know, I waited all my life till I could afford nice shit- - now I'm able to and yes I'm gonna continue until I'm so old I'm shittin in a diaper at the retirement home and don't know it.

Then you can take my nice guitars cause I'll be too busy trying to remember my name.
                          Strat God Music
                          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                            I am glad you like it !! So you changed one PUP? I thought it
                            had good tone overall... and imo it didnt really need anything?
                            I didn't change any of the pups, it sounds great stock! According to BM's site, the pups I listed are stock in these.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                              Oh go ahead. The power of Christ compells you. :ROTF:
                              OK:ROTF: It's not the price. It's the feel. I have my expensive stuff. You older guys know me. And I have cheap stuff. The list would make me a dealer. The bottom line is that no matter what a guitar costs it's worthless unless it just feels right. And the $649 I paid for my USA Strat Deluxe Plus is my absolute max. Until the next "I can't live without it guitar".
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Not as much as I used to be-

I used to be a gear snob, if it wasn't Gibson / Marshall it wasn't anything. Now, one of my favorites is a Made in China Hamer Standard Korina, which eats my Gibson '76 reissue Explorer for breakfast.

I have found a lot of copies that beat up the guitars they imitate, like Greco and Ibanez Les Pauls. I've used my $99 Crate Power Block at gigs and got searing tone from it. I once used that and some crappy generic 1x12 speaker at a gig and people kept coming up to my and saying your sound is great, but where's your amp?

Maybe it is all in the fingers.............

Comment

Working...
                                X