How much of a guitar snob are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
    At the risk of coming off arrogant, I get off on out-playing some gear-snob, on cheaper gear. I've lost count on how many people I've met with top-line equipment, only to play for total shit. If it gets me from gig to gig, puts a smile on my face, AND a save a load of dough? Shit, then I say I'M the smarter person.
    *********** "Note to self".. stay far away from RacerX!"

Comment

I'm not Ron!

Comment

I'm a total snob, with all kinds of stuff, and it's nowt to do with how much an item costs, it's down to the pedigree.

When I tell people what I have, I have to justify it. For example, I own a Jaguar, but I can't leave it at that, I have to make sure people don't think it's one of those abortions the X-type. No, mines a PROPER Jag, an XJ8.
        With guitars, I have a Dinky. But I can't let anyone walk away assuming it's one of the piles of cheap shite they have been churning out over the past few years, I have to back it up by saying it's a USA model. Why? Because I'm a snob and I'm proud of it.

Strangely though, back in 1987 I nearly chinned someone who assumed that when I said I had a Jackson, I actually meant that I had a Charvel. No, Mr Fuckface, I have a proper Jackson, not a POS Charvel. How dare you! He nearly kissed my feet when he saw the real McCoy, a rarity in those days in the UK. Forget my shit playing, he was in awe of my guitar. Sadly, it's the only way I got any respect!
        Fast forward 20 years, I'm actively looking for those "POS" Charvels and their price is on the up again. I'd be proud to say I have a Charvel now ( erm, it's a Model series, not one of those POS things with that nasty toothpaste logo..... )
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
          No, Mr Fuckface, I have a proper Jackson
          So it's a real San Dimas Jackson, before they sold out and started making them in Ontario...?

Comment

I think the snobbiness follows the dollar value. I'm willing to bet if you reversed the values of imports with the value of USA models, so would the snob factor...folks would be gushing over the imports and looking down on those "cheapie" USA models
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
              I think the snobbiness follows the dollar value. I'm willing to bet if you reversed the values of imports with the value of USA models, so would the snob factor...folks would be gushing over the imports and looking down on those "cheapie" USA models
              Yeah, I have to agree. There are some nice imports, but because it has the import tag, it gets the piece of trash tag on it.

Comment

Hmmmm........ well after having lots of different guitars in different wood combos, neck sizes and such I found I prefer certain types of woods, neck shapes and so forth.

Once I found what feels most comfortable for me to play and what seems to sound good to my ears I now order only custom made guitars - which a 3rd one is on the way from a guy in England.

Once you get a couple good customs and see the quality of them its hard to go back to a regular production guitar - at least for me.

For example I always get a 24 fretter with frets 22 - 24 scalloped. Where the hell am I going to find that on anything other than a JEM ?

So call me a snob but I know what I like and so I get a guitar made to my preferences and specs. I don't find anything wrong with that.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Custom does not alway equate to quality Shred
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                    So it's a real San Dimas Jackson, before they sold out and started making them in Ontario...?
                    Indeed it is. Or rather, they BOTH are. Ha!
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Snob?
                      I can't describe myself as one, because I never bothered
                      finding it necessary for me to put out the kind of money for
                      something that would qualify in the snob zone.

But...
                      I've played some of the most desirable guitars on the planet.
                      I had a small music store for a hiccup in my life, and due to a
                      strange twist of events (another Fender/Gibson authorized
                      dealer shared the same street name, but were 7 miles away),
                      I found myself having to do business in used or consignment, with no
                      dealer support. So I had some of the best guitars for sale
                      in the state going through my store. As a result, I saw and played
                      vintage, rare, new and old. I had a late night transaction on a 59
                      tobacco burst Strat, and played that one too. Gibby's, Gretches,
                      and a few J/C and Ibanez superstrats, Jems, you name it.

I could have walked away with any number of guitars when I burned out fast, and walked out with my profits, and a lot of stock. I kept a
                      Hamer Phantom, a Model 88, a couple of amps, and a bunch of parts.

Bottom line, It's what works. The Hamer, to me, is fugly. But I love the way it sounds and plays. The Model 88 speaks for itself. The Kramer is becoming a mainstay trem monster. I hate to even have a guitar I'm afraid of scratching, to just impress people with. I sold the best ones locally, just to get them off my wall. I have 5 or 6 at any time, and play them all.

I look at fine guitars about the way I look at a fine classic car. Great work, fun to look at and drive, but I'm not all that sure it's what I want to have. I just appreciate it for what it is. I'd love to have one of those RR's with the glass like fingerboard and finish, but really, it would spend most of its time in a case. Not for me. I GAS for some of this stuff, but it's really about playabilty and sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        My number 1 and number 2 players are a 1st year Ibanez RG550 that is beat to shit and a 1st year Washburn N2 Nuno Bettencourt model.
                        I picked the Ibanez up for $300 and the N2 was $250

I have had everything up to and including $4500.00 guitars and these 2 have always maintained their 1 and 2 status.
                        Weren't you hammering on a 7-UP 275 for a long while too? Another rockin' cheapy
                        Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                        Well if you remember Frankie was a $150 axe with legendary tone and blackie was a parts mutt. More expensive doesnt always mean better tone or playablity
                        SRV's No1 was a mutt too!
                        Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                        hell, they're all imports to me
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

I am a snob for quality and, regardless of tone, playability and looks, that always comes at a price.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                            When I tell people what I have, I have to justify it.

Glad I'm not the only one!! ,
                            it's not an epiphone is almost my catchphrase!

Comment

I've just rebuilt a Squier Strat, which has turned out really nice.
                              ...of course, when I say Squier, it's actually an early 80's one: look, it's got the three bolt neck, and the big CBS headstock, so in effect, it's a Japanese Fender, made before they started putting Fender decals on them. So don't go thinking it'd one of those Chinese cheapies for beginners....

Comment

thats a nice strat, red with white pickguarfd and rosewod (?) board is nice...althoguh thats pretty dark coud be ebony?

Comment

Working...
                                X